H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Embarrassing Brake Squeal. 8" VOC Brakes.

Albervin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Kinda makes you wonder about the his job interview and references? Hopefully the Forman threw the guy in the tip when he was done with him.
I was taking a class of people sitting for their licence test and one guy had a really squeaky front brake. I suggested he lubricate it and he really thought I meant he should oil/grease his disc. Never, ever, underestimate stupidity.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Maybe Stupidity is a little harsh ?,
What about lack of Guidance ?,
I think we have all done some silly mistakes ?,
The Garages were full of young Kids, With no checks,
The trick was to ask one of the older Kids, Pick there brains,
I know I did, I was never taught, Just picked things up as I went.
If you could hold a Spanner, You were a Mechanic :) .

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Totally true story, my eldest Son Jamie (now 45) was on work experience at our then local Vauxhall main dealer, Davenport Vernon, long gone, now a Frank Sytner BMW Garage. Jamie as a kid had a mechanical bent, so much so that whilst on work experience he was entrusted with fitting replacement disc pads whilst under some sort of supervision, but obviously not enough!
The pads must have been symmetrical because he managed to fit them back to front. It was only when the customer brought the vehicle back very soon after collecting it, complaining of noisy ineffectual brakes that the error was picked up. D.V. covered it up with excuses about faulty pads etc. corrected everything and the happy customer was on his way, and my Son was very embarrassed. Absolutely shocking really, thank goodness there were no more serious consequences.

RedRyder

Non-VOC Member
I have the stock brakes on my machines. My Rapide has twice sounded off with the obstreperous squeals. Once was due to the brake arm needing lube in the housing of the brake plate. For that, best to remove the plate and brake cam and really clean things well vs. just using a grease gun on the boss fitting. The other time really surprised me. What was wrong was the E80 nuts were JUST loose! Just snugging them down to where they JUST bit was enough! Voila!