Elephants trunk

Martyn Goodwin

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I must confess that even though I have just installed a Bunn breather system on my Comet I have not yet run the motor with it in place. I am in the midst of a complete rebuild and expact to be at a stage where I can trial run the motor - and test ride - in around 6 to 8 weeks time.

Once the "trials" are happening I will report back on my experience with the Bunn system.

Just a few other remarks. On the inlet side there are two air filters - in series - with the outer one (the one air goes thru first) being replacable - it looks a bit like a cigarette filter and requires replacement annually - the kit came with 5 years supply of filters. I have positioned the air inlet behind the crankcase in the air space between the crankcase and the gearbox very close to the chain sprocket. On the subject if air temperatures - its just a tad warmer here in Australia than in the UK.

Finally as to cost - it was very modest, less than Australian $100 inc postage. For that I received the Bunn version of a exhaust PCV, their "reverse" PCV valve for the inlet side, 5 years supply of inlet filters, a generous quantity of hose for both inlet and outlet, a few cable ties and access to their support. Given the overall investment in the bike, the cost of the Bunn system is trivial.

peterg

Non-VOC Member
Howdy Vibrac,

You mean like this one (explanation here)? It's only failing being cheap, unexotic and working so unobtrusively - the antithesis of desirable attributes in most Vin solutions.

vincentbreathermod.jpg

vibrac

VOC Member
Howdy Vibrac,

You mean like this one (explanation here)? It's only failing being cheap, unexotic and working so unobtrusively - the antithesis of desirable attributes in most Vin solutions.View attachment 1133

OH how true peterg!
and dont forget the other failing :always ask a question already covered exhaustively in KTB, MPH, 40 years on wait a year and ask again and again

must stop just had "another ten years on" for Xmas (how many of us still read books?)

Chrish

Non-VOC Member
You mean like this one (explanation here)? It's only failing being cheap, unexotic and working so unobtrusively - the antithesis of desirable attributes in most Vin solutions.

View attachment 1133[/QUOTE] What a more elegant solution that looks Peterg, this forum is a wonderful medium to stimulate the thought process, especially for those new to the world of Vincents. I’m sure that if PCV and PI had access to modern PCV’s then a whole new resolution to the breathing of the twin engine would have been used. Solutions to this problem from the past is where they belong, Vincent enthusiasts are, to my mind, a progressive lot. Thank you for your input.

Chris:)

ET43

Non-VOC Member
I've only been in this club for fourty years so am still probably considered a New Boy, but, there are more than a few new forum members who do not have access to the aforementioned publications where they could find answers to the questions posed on this forum so they ask the same damn fool questions again and again. I have found recently that even though I have given what I considered the correct answers to questions asked of me the questions are still asked on the forum which I must put down to human nature. So Gentlemen, spend a few dollars, join the club and get yourself some serious reading matter and stop winding Vibrac up.
Bah Humbug to the lot of you. ET43

Black Flash

VOC Member
Hello Phil,
please forgive them, they maybe just found the forum. Maybe there is a way to make the search function a bit more precise, this would help.

Merry christmas and a happy new year to all of you from Germany

Bernd

nkt267

VOC Member
Maybe with ageing membership we forgot we already asked.:D

Maybe with ageing membership we forgot we already asked:eek:

Maybe with ageing membership we forgot we already asked:rolleyes:

John

OH I already asked that:confused: Me???

peterg

Non-VOC Member
Howdy Bernd,

(thanks Chris) Actually it's even easier than that. No books, no forums, no phone calls just you and Google. Click here for the search, my site is the first one up.

But then again, doing that, you wouldn't get to socialize with a bunch of pleasant chaps.

Last edited:

ET43

Non-VOC Member
Being the peasant that I am, my mouth gets ahead of my brain. Thinking of these folks that join the club/forum and ask ( my quote ) damn fool questions, even if full use is made of the search facility at the top of the page, the answer is not always forthcoming because it may not have been discussed here. There is no short answer except perhaps to exercise a little patience when trying to satisfy the needs of the novice Vincent owner. If you have a machine on the road enjoy it. You are lucky as I have been waiting for a vital component for my trike for over nineteen months and have not ridden any blasted thing since September 2009. When you get to 70 the months roll by quicker and I am not a happy bunny, hence my sometimes short replies. One can only hope that 2012 will be a better year. ET43