PR: Proprietary Items Electronic Speedos?

davidd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
No, quite alright. I enjoyed the videos and it was best to tie it into the Section Review. The Norvin video shows some rear set options for the KS, which is also a recent thread.

David

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
My Egli speedo is (was) driven by a pair of gears in the front wheel hub. The big gear has stripped AGAIN, and Slaters want £150 for a new set.
I've been using a bicycle speedo, which is more accurate than the mechanical one ever was, but it looks naff and it hasn't got a back light.
Has anyone got any comments/tips/recommendations regarding modern electronic and GPS speedos - I'm not interested in originality - it's an Egli.

H
Get yourself a HOLUX GPSport 260 Waterproof GPS speedo plus lots of other features including a backlight!

http://www.holux.com/JCore/en/products/products_content.jsp?pno=401

Available via ebay at a keen price

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Holux-GPSpo...004?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a259ca7d4

or go search for yourself.

Howard

VOC Member
Thanks so far. I'm leaning towards electronic more than GPS, I think electronics will be fixable for quite a time yet (like mechanical), but not sure about gadgets fed by a source beyond my control - I'm thinking Betamax, VHS, DVD, Blueray, long wave, FM, Digital radio, MSDOS , Windows 95........ 8 (or is it 9 now) etc etc - it seems as soon as you move up to a technology, they produce another incompatible one.
So is anyone using 80 mm diameter (It needs to fit a Triumph type dash if pos) electronic, with simple magnetic pickup - I think the Smiths one above is looking favourite.

H

vibrac

VOC Member
Yes Howard I have a GPS speedo on my Comet as a test bed for my Beta Alp trail bike which is always screwing its cable driven KPH speedo and you need a good speedo on an MCC trial (EG: in .6 of a mile obscure turn left) I also thought an electronic pickup one would get clogged with dirt. Anyway on the Cometthe GPS unit was deadly accurate -when it worked but the trip facility needed to be selected and sometimes the signal gets lost. I see there are lots of dirt bike electronics out there so I suppose they may have sorted the dirt problem.

Howard

VOC Member
Thanks Vibrac, my Egli doesn't do a lot of off roading (unless I get lost) but you're right, the sensor is a bit vulnerable. Luckily the old drive is in a vented hub, and I intend to mount the sensor in there using the old cable attachment point for wiring entry. I do occasionally lose signal on my sat nav, so that's another consideration with GPS, and they've now got average speed cameras on remote places like the Cat and Fiddle road which isn't in the best signal area in the country.

Howard

Howard

VOC Member
Thanks Vibrac, my Egli doesn't do a lot of off roading (unless I get lost) but you're right, the sensor is a bit vulnerable. Luckily the old drive is in a vented hub, and I intend to mount the sensor in there using the old cable attachment point for wiring entry. I do occasionally lose signal on my sat nav, so that's another consideration with GPS, and they've now got average speed cameras on remote places like the Cat and Fiddle road which isn't in the best signal area in the country.

Howard

b'knighted

VOC Member
Hi Howard, I've just visited the VOCspares site and accidentally found PR33-DIGITAL which may be the answer to your problem.

Howard

VOC Member
Thanks Ian, I never look at VOCSC for anything non-Vincent. Unfortunately their's is about twice the price of similar ones elsewhere on the internet - mind you they don't have the chronometric ticking facility ..... Is that really an advantage?

H