PR: Proprietary Items Electronic Speedos?

Howard

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
My Egli speedo is (was) driven by a pair of gears in the front wheel hub. The big gear has stripped AGAIN, and Slaters want £150 for a new set.
I've been using a bicycle speedo, which is more accurate than the mechanical one ever was, but it looks naff and it hasn't got a back light.
Has anyone got any comments/tips/recommendations regarding modern electronic and GPS speedos - I'm not interested in originality - it's an Egli.

H

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
My Egli speedo is (was) driven by a pair of gears in the front wheel hub. The big gear has stripped AGAIN, and Slaters want £150 for a new set.
I've been using a bicycle speedo, which is more accurate than the mechanical one ever was, but it looks naff and it hasn't got a back light.
Has anyone got any comments/tips/recommendations regarding modern electronic and GPS speedos - I'm not interested in originality - it's an Egli.

H
A quick search and I found a couple of links to things that are well below the price of the gears from Slater's

The link below is to a simple GPS speedo. It doesn't record mileage coverd. The site is digital-speedos who do all sort of speedos and gauges. They will be at tthe Stafford Show.
http://www.digital-speedos.co.uk/ds50-gps-speedometer-621-p.asp

This second link is from Amazon and is for cycle use so is probably waterproof. It has lots of functions.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pyle-PGPFPD5-Speedometer-Navigator-Device/dp/B0077PN3VE

I use a (waterproof) Garmin Zumo 660 GPS on my motorcycles and this shows your digital speed on the navigation display. Car GPS are considerably cheaper than dedicated bike GPS like the Zumo 660 but you can buy cheap waterproof covers on the internet.

Another free option if you have an Android Smartphone is to download one of the many free apps that use the gps function to run an onscreen speedometer. I have tried several and they seem to work OK.

Probably lots of other things out there that will do the job for you.

RAT 124

Forum User
VOC Member
A quick search and I found a couple of links to things that are well below the price of the gears from Slater's

The link below is to a simple GPS speedo. It doesn't record mileage coverd. The site is digital-speedos who do all sort of speedos and gauges. They will be at tthe Stafford Show.
http://www.digital-speedos.co.uk/ds50-gps-speedometer-621-p.asp

This second link is from Amazon and is for cycle use so is probably waterproof. It has lots of functions.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pyle-PGPFPD5-Speedometer-Navigator-Device/dp/B0077PN3VE

I use a (waterproof) Garmin Zumo 660 GPS on my motorcycles and this shows your digital speed on the navigation display. Car GPS are considerably cheaper than dedicated bike GPS like the Zumo 660 but you can buy cheap waterproof covers on the internet.

Another free option if you have an Android Smartphone is to download one of the many free apps that use the gps function to run an onscreen speedometer. I have tried several and they seem to work OK.

Probably lots of other things out there that will do the job for you.

RAT 124

Forum User
VOC Member
I have recently fitted an ACEWELL 3254 digital speedo to my Egli. It cost just under £120. It allows you to input your existing mileage to the new speedo. I calibrated it using my sat nav. It has two trips, a voltmeter and an analogue and digital tachometer. ( I am using a Pazon ignition system) I managed to badly cut the back of my hand with a circular saw but the stitches are now out and will soon be able to test out the speedo.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Howard, I have a NAFF one, But I love it, It is water proof, I swop it from bike to bike, You can get a small light to clip next to it on the bar, Cheers Bill.

davidd

VOC Member
Legendary Motorcycles is the same web site I posted above. Dave and Cheryl build the Egli tanks that I have written about in MPH. I did not know they supplied the speedo when I was there in April or I would have asked about it.

David