PR: Proprietary Items Electronic Speedos?

Robert Watson

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The quarter mile function worked well when I had the 1000 cc engine in place, but not so well with the 1360.
Because the sender is on the front wheel and the unit is measuring distance, it gets confused when the front wheel is not in contact with the ground. A rear wheel sender location is planned.

Glen

Except until you get the traction control sorted the rear wheel will be spinning up and still confuse it!

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
I'm not very happy with it at the moment.
Sometimes it has to go as much as half a mile just to go a quarter mile!
That just can't be fuel efficient.

Glen

Cyborg

VOC Member
So the tach from Caerbont arrived this morning. Not what I would call a close enough match to the Puka speedo. Dial and needle (I assume the same maker) are just fine and they both use the same script for "Smiths", but the slightly larger case combined with the bezel made it different enough that it will likely drive me nuts every time I look at them. The case (metal) on the Caerbont is slightly deeper, but not by a lot and wouldn't likely notice it once installed. Just thought I'd post this here for future reference and I'll reserve the bitching and moaning for my own thread. Although the fellow at CAI mentioned the 82mm when you factor in the diameter of the bezel it adds up enough to make it noticeable. Oddly enough the paperwork that comes with the Caerbont tach refers to it as 80 mm.

Dave61

Non-VOC Member
So the tach from Caerbont arrived this morning. Not what I would call a close enough match to the Puka speedo. Dial and needle (I assume the same maker) are just fine and they both use the same script for "Smiths", but the slightly larger case combined with the bezel made it different enough that it will likely drive me nuts every time I look at them. The case (metal) on the Caerbont is slightly deeper, but not by a lot and wouldn't likely notice it once installed. Just thought I'd post this here for future reference and I'll reserve the bitching and moaning for my own thread. Although the fellow at CAI mentioned the 82mm when you factor in the diameter of the bezel it adds up enough to make it noticeable. Oddly enough the paperwork that comes with the Caerbont tach refers to it as 80 mm.
Thats not good.
It`s a shame there isn`t a supplier that could be relied on to match what you`ve got.

Cyborg

VOC Member
My Godet Egli-Vincent has the electronic speedo and tacho from Smiths. The blue odometer and trip display are completely illegible in the sun (not even direct sunlight). But even worse, that's how the speedo looked after the first ride in the rain:

View attachment 24032

When I showed it to Patrick Godet, he send a mail to Smiths and ten minutes later, he got this answer: "We know about this problem. You are not the first one who complains about it. We use the best seals available though and do not know how we could improve it. You (P.Godet) should explain your customers how to clean their motorbikes."Meanwhile, the water inside has evaporated, the speedo still works and the black paint of the dial is peeling of. You have been warned.

So when you say Smiths, which Smiths are you referring to? Puka or Caerbont?
I'm assuming by the face it is from Caerbont.

Last edited:

Cyborg

VOC Member
Thats not good.
It`s a shame there isn`t a supplier that could be relied on to match what you`ve got.

I suppose I could buy a matching speedo from CAI, but I'm in pretty deep already. They claim theirs are waterproof, so that may be a plus.

Last edited:

vibrac

VOC Member
Just tested my Acewell speedo on the egli comet against a village speed sign conveniently just erected down the road and it said 29 when speedo said 22 I shall have to alter my circumference setting;

Dave61

Non-VOC Member
So when you say Smiths, which Smiths are you referring to? Puka or Caerbont?
I'm assuming by the face it is from Caerbont.
Thats what confuses me,I think anyone can use the name, but I think the Caerbont ones are definitely the ones that Digital Speedos supply & they aren`t the same as Puca.
PS. I thought 3" was 76mm

Last edited:

stu spalding

VOC Member
Some of those road side speed signs should be treated with great caution, as I've found as much as 4 mph difference between some of them for a given speedo reading. Cheers, Stu.

Trevor Lever

Forum User
VOC Member
I am having the same problem with my replica Prince which Patrick recently supplied to me. After first wash the instrument has much water inside.
This was abt 3mths ago. It hasn’t gone since! 120k machine stopped by this rubbish! I have waisted so much time with this problem.
Ciao T.