ET: Engine (Twin) Electronic Rev Counter

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
A tyre signal for a tachometer?
i use the bolt as the base to secure the magnet better than swinging around on a spoke like a push bike.
Any way none of this is helping Ernie (I see he is asking elsewhere) but I think Ian has the answer use the available pickup that is sold with the counter.

Roslyn

Non-VOC Member
Why have a rev counter ? just another thing to distract you from riding the bike and go wrong? and you are not supposed to over rev a Vincent any way? and why fit clocks usb ports and gadgets to old bikes if you that is what you want why not just buy a new modern motorcycle and it all built in no messing about with unnecessary wiring and hassle just get out there and ride the bike and enjoy life

erik

VOC Member
windy corner treffen 036.JPG

timetraveller

VOC Member
I like a rev counter. I have one on all my bikes and my car. I also have a car alternator to give me all the watts I could want, modified front and rear suspension, modern tyres, flashing direction indicators, a twin start oil pump, modified valve lifter boss and clutch to prevent oil leaks and more. My bike, my choices. When I get too old to remember where I am going then I will have a 12 volt fed USB port to power a smart phone to act as a sat nav. Remember, your bike your choices, my bike my choices.

Roslyn

Non-VOC Member
using a sat nav and phone not very safe on a bike better to keep your eyes out for those boxes on four wheels with a moron using a sat nav and phone etc as they are not looking out for you as more car drivers now stop then turn then use indicators if you lucky why because they are much to busy using a hands free phones etc. I have caught some with a action camera, hands free drinking a coffee and using a phone at the same time yep they are still out there trying to kill some one.

Mike 40M

VOC Member
A Scitsu with inbuilt battery is not a good idea on a road bike. It is very good instrument on a racebike where you can charge it from a 12V battery for 24 hours between events. Don't know exactly how long it works without recharging. A month ago, three hours racing in a weekend, no problem.

Gary Gittleson

VOC Member
Disclaimer: I'm squarely on the "reasonable upgrade" side if this discussion. I don't yet have a rev counter but am thinking about it. So here's my question.

The Smiths electronic tach should be easy in my case, since I am using the D distributor on my D bike, albeit with a Dyna points booster. Are there any opinions out there about the quality and reliability of that tach? It's a bit pricey, so one hopes it's not junk.

And I do use a Sat Nav on the bike with Bluetooth earplugs so I don't have to look at it.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
I have one of the Smiths electronic tachs on a Rapide with dual point dual coil ignition.
I had plenty of problems initially. After working perfectly for about 2 weeks and a thousand miles it went haywire, very erractic.
All advice from the manufacturer was that I had wired it up incorrectly.
That wasn't the case, diodes in the tach were fried.
All fixed under warranty. It's been working great for a couple of years now. They are a bit complex to install and calibrate.
I like having a tach, kind of miss it when riding the tachless Rapide. Why have a tach? It's a question like " Why have a Vincent?"
You don't really need either item.
Satnav with Bluetooth audio saved our lives in Manchester in 07.

Glen

Last edited:

vibrac

VOC Member
The only time I needed a Tach on the road was when I had a 1951 AJS 7R Registered for the road I had to memorise the revs for first and third for the only limit that mattered back then 30MPH.
But anyone with a bit of mechanical sympathy likes to know what the mill is churning at.