ET: Engine (Twin) Electronic Rev Counter

ernie

VOC Assistant Secretary
VOC Member
Anyone with experience of fitting a Smiths electronic tacho to a twin with a Lucas Magneto please?

Ernie from the Magnificent Severn.

Chris Launders

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Not a Smiths, but I used to have a Krober on my BSA A10 45 years ago and it just connected to the cut out connection, picking up a pulse off there.

Nulli Secundus

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Anyone with experience of fitting a Smiths electronic tacho to a twin with a Lucas Magneto please?

Ernie from the Magnificent Severn.
I asked a similar question Ernie on a Facebook group page, but in my case for an Acewell electronic tacho. Only one guy responded and said he uses Smiths electronic tachos on his magneto equipped bikes, but uses one of these rpm signal filters. I cannot personally say that it will work. I did not buy the Acewell in the end.

vibrac

VOC Member
Why not ask acewell l asked a Q on Friday night got replys on sat and Sunday see my thread on Egli Comet last month.
I fitted magnet on trail bike and Egli by utilising tyre security bolt hole

Nulli Secundus

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Why not ask acewell l asked a Q on Friday night got replys on sat and Sunday see my thread on Egli Comet last month.
I fitted magnet on trail bike and Egli by utilising tyre security bolt hole
I did and they very swiftly (late evening on the same day) answered all of my numbered questions, apart from the one whether it would work with a magneto, or an electronic magneto like a BT-H. I had provided them with information on the BT-H as well.

I then replied to their email and tactfully suggested they could perhaps test one of their rev counters on say a 4-stroke lawnmower. This clearly 'fell on deaf ears' and I can only assume they are perhaps struggling with the concept of a self generating ignition system (even though their lawnmowers, if they own one, have them) and presumably have the luxury of not wishing to expand their potential customer base.

The Acewell was just too expensive for me to take a punt on without knowing whether it would work OK.

Little Honda

Non-VOC Member
Ernie,
you certainly have an ignition spot light which can be used to check, if there is a spark under compression with
magneto ignition. This impulse should be useable for a tachometer feed. You may even try it out with yr spotlight by connecting the two contacts for the bulb with yr tachometer. It should indicate while pressing the
button of the spotlight while the engine is running. The detail fitting is your turn...

Albervin

VOC Member
Check out the Scitsu site. They make many different types. At the moment I am testing one for a twin plug Puch 2 stroke twingle. They seem very receptive to feedback and their prices are fair. If the unit on the Puch stays then I will buy one for my BTH twins. The plus is they can be powered by a self contained battery so suitable for a 6V and 12V bike and can be transferred between bikes.

Ian Savage

VOC Vice President
VOC Member
VOCSC
PR31-Sender

Attachments

• 699_REV_COUNTER_HT_PICK_UP_CABLE_thumb.JPG
    699_REV_COUNTER_HT_PICK_UP_CABLE_thumb.JPG
    3.3 KB · Views: 14