electrics set up from scratch?

james r

Forum User
VOC Member
i just aquired a 47 model rapide which has virtually no electrics.is there available a complete set up available which will give me digital ignition,all electrics(lights etc)and an electric starter.i am trying to join voc but im having trouble with the web payment system

Albervin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Not too big an ask!!!?? OK; what is your budget? Are you going to do it yourself or get someone to do it? A wiring loom is available but may not be suitable for a 12V system with electric start etc. Which electric start system are you going to use? What do you mean by digital ignition? There are at least 6 ignition systems I know of that can be adapted to a Vincent. What sort of generator/alternator will you use? Are you fitting indicators, LED tail lights and instrument lights and HID headlight? In reality a 47 Rapide is a very rare beast and you may upset a few people by radically changing it. It should have a gorgeous 8" Miller headlight out front mounted on spindly Brampton forks so if you can keep it "looking right" but modernise it underneath you could end up being well pleased with the package.

Last edited:

b'knighted

VOC Member
James, Are you working to the same definitions as us?
By modern standards, a complete original Rapide should be fitted with virtually no electrics.
It should have a magneto providing ignition sparks but hidden under a cover at the front of the engine, a dynamo with regulator charging a battery which powers headlamp, taillamp and horn. Horn button and dipswitch on the handlebars complete the wiring. The taillamp includes a brakelight operated by a switch on a rear brake rod.
Which bits are you missing and do you want to rig the bike for modern riding or to look standard?

james r

Forum User
VOC Member
hi ALBERVIN thanks for the reply,the questions you ask are the ones i most want answered .i have 8inch headlight and i want to keep the bike as origonal as i can whilst making it reliable enough to be ridden on a regular basis.As im retired i ride other bikes regularly ,i want blinkers and will set them up for easy removal and instalation and being a bit long in the tooth myself would like a well disguised starter motor if i can afford it or ar least have easy starting as my norton is now with tri spark ignition .this is my first vincent experiance as i did not ever think i would ever get the opportunity ,this came out of the blue ...........regards james

james r

Forum User
VOC Member
hi thanks for the reply i want the bike to be as original as practical and still be able as a 67 year old to start and handle it ,starting my norton with kick start in traffic can be a pain.as there are virtually no electrical gear with the bike im starting from scratch though i have 8inch light and origonal tail light,what i need most is some advice on what the best approach is before i start spending ....regards james r

Dinny

VOC Member
To try and keep it looking original I rebuilt the Miler dynamo with a recon armature, convertered it to 12v and used a modern regulator inside the miller case. Try dynamo regulators.com. New loom and 12v bulbs with a modern battery inside the old style case. Works good but I don't have indicators or starter motor. Once you figure out the technique for your bike it should start easily, mines first or second kick every time.

Hope this helps