electrics set up from scratch?

b'knighted

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Every rider will have their own preference but bear in mind that if you add electrical loads you may need to upgrade the power supply and battery size. The first improvement will probably need to be a change to 12volt negative earth. This can generally be done by replacing regulator, battery and bulbs.

My preference for ease of starting and good slow running is to use coil ignition. Vincents fitted it to Series Ds but you won’t see much discussion about it on the forum because it gives so few problems. Universal spares are also more readily available. Equally I use belt drive electromagnetic alternators as they apply minimal starting or shock loads to their drives and produce adequate power to run excessively high wattage lamps and heated grips, seat and clothing without any issues. Sadly they tend to be visible and not too attractive. (Pig ugly is an adequate description) There is a French electric start set up which hides below the gearbox and seems to be very effective but will require a bigger starter battery and probably something better than a refurbished original dynamo.
You pays your money and you takes your choice.

Last edited:

Howard

VOC Member
It sounds like you want 21 century electrics (or as close as you can get) so bin any thoughts of dynamo systems, they really are only suitable for running original equipment and a mag ignition. I've tried 6 volt and various 12 volt conversions and, while they're ok, they are the limiting factor, after all, no one fits dynamos on new vehicles.

I now use a 2CV alternator with my own belt drive system, it looks "pig ugly" (to quote Ian) but it's rated at over 360 watts (1/2 hp), and you can run a lot of modern electrics from that. The Walkernator is a more professional version of this, and I've yet to see any complaints about it (other alternator conversions are available).

Once you've got loads of watts you can decide what to do with them. There are various ignition systems and electric starts, all discussed at length on this forum and it's a matter of personal preference, you won't find a lack of options or opinions on this site.

stumpy lord

Non-VOC Member
i just aquired a 47 model rapide which has virtually no electrics.is there available a complete set up available which will give me digital ignition,all electrics(lights etc)and an electric starter.i am trying to join voc but im having trouble with the web payment system

HI,
Francois Grosset makes and supplies an electric starter for Vincent twins, which off the three different starters available is the least obtrusive, being mounted below the gear box, and, is by far the most popular off the three starters available. All the twins built by Patrick Godet come without a kick starter but are fitted with Francois Grosset starter. I have not heard of any starting problems on any of Patricks Egli twins.

Francois also manufactures an electronic ignition system that employs the mechanical timing device from a Honda motor cycle, I suppose you could call it an updated D type ignition set up, A good fit and forget mod.

As previously mentioned Norman Walker/Dick Sherwin produce an altenator mod that is based on a Citroen 2cv system. another fit and forget mod.

hope this helps.
stumpy lord.

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
Tri-Spark offers this:
http://www.trispark.com.au/images/Magneto%20replacement%20MRK0001.pdf
I wasn't aware they had this before and it may not be available for 50 deg v-Twins or have the best advance curve.

I talked to Tri-Spark at the Broadford meet about 4 months back. Their sysem provides about 38 degrees of advance and is NOT adjustable. So if you set your static starting timing at 6 degrees BTDC then fully advanced its 44 degrees. I asked if they would consider building something different - that would suit a Vincent but they were clearly NOT interested.

I recently purchased a Pazon system that so far I am very happy with.

Martyn