Electrical parts for Pre War Series A

Andy B

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Can anyone tell me if this is the BTH unit fitted to some series A machines, picked it up last weekend at Bendigo swap on the off chance it may be ok for my 1937 Meteor if my Miller set does not come up to scratch?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 58

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Hi Andy
That looks like the correct BTH. It even has the correct handed cable entry for the manual advance cable to ensure its slack wire advance. On crankcases fitted with this unit the factory relieved the crankcases slightly to allow clearance for the slight bulge on the drive end of the magneto. So if your cases originally were fitted with a Miller mag/dyno then the BTH may clash.

Simon
Img_2435.jpg Img_2436.jpg Img_2433.jpg Img_2434.jpg

Andy B

Non-VOC Member
Fantastic thank you Simon, Can I ask if you have purchased any new parts for this set and if you could put me in touch with the supplier, I believe it is Marks unit ( very expensive unit) I am missing the dynamo internals, probably hens teeth eh? And could do with a nice shiny pick up and cable for advance retard. Thanks in advance. Should be able to help Mark with his gearbox as I have some 1937 Ariel gearboxes .

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Fantastic thank you Simon, Can I ask if you have purchased any new parts for this set and if you could put me in touch with the supplier, I believe it is Marks unit ( very expensive unit) I am missing the dynamo internals, probably hens teeth eh? And could do with a nice shiny pick up and cable for advance retard. Thanks in advance. Should be able to help Mark with his gearbox as I have some 1937 Ariel gearboxes .
Hi Andy.
Yes the photos are my brothers magneto. It was restored by Dave Lindsley Magnetos in UK and he was the only person I could find willing to work on such mag/dyno. Parts are very difficult to find for them but I do know the same unit was used on Scott motorcycles except they are twin cylinders. The magneto in the photos was originally off a Scott and Dave converted it for use on a series A.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Glenn Shriver bought a modern German magdyno for the A Comet that Bev Bowen has now. I think Little Honda here on the Forum has contact information for the supplier. Might be a Plan B for you.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Eddy, that's it! Glenn had some challenge in dealing with an altered crankcase "shelf" height, but that unit worked for him.

mercurycrest

VOC Member
Just be aware that the series A singles have a 35mm approx shaft height from the mag platform and the Lucas has a 45mm approx height. So the modern copy of the Lucas one made by the new BT-H may not fit.

Oops! No one told me it wouldn't fit! Actually, the deed was done in the early '70's to fit a now worn out Lucas MagDyno. The new BT-H is the "Cat's Pajama's!
DSCN4734.JPG
DSCN4736.JPG