Electrical Misery

Martyn Goodwin

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Wondering if anyone has come across this before – and hasany suggestion where I should look next.

I have a ALTON on my bike with the standard ALTON suppliedvoltage regulator. I also am using a SHORAI 9ah Lithium Ionbattery. There is a 40Amp rated isolation switch between the battery andthe rest of the bike – and there is a 15amp fuse between the battery and theisolation switch. I run a substantial earth cable from the batterynegative to the grounding bolt on the UFM then I also run a earth lead into theheadlight shell again from the UFM grounding point.

Here is the problem – when the bike is cold and I start itup all seems well but within a few miles my lights start flickeringintermittently – and just in case you wondered, the fuse does NOT blow.

In desperation (trying to find the cause and eliminate theflickering) I connected a light directly across the battery terminals – thenwith the motor running I observed the light (it was a LED with a suitable loadresistor). Blow me down, even connected directly across the battery, after a short while withthe motor running the light flickered intermittently. With the motor shutdown the light did NOT flicker.

This has me beat – has anyone else experienced thisphenomena? Any ideas on a permanent fix??

riptragle1953

Non-VOC Member
Do not, I repeat do not use a Lithium Ion battery in this application. I shan't go into the details because it's text-book stuff. A good sealed lead-acid battery is what to use.

riptragle1953

Non-VOC Member
To operate correctly a li-on battery needs it's own special circuitry just for it. Discharged too much ruins the battery.... over charged it can burst into flames.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Dear Rip,
Not wishing to dispute what you say but the Shorai Lithium battery seems to be used successfully by quite a lot of motor cyclists. There is a current thread on the Ducati ST forum that discusses the use of this type of battery.
The Shorai website states a maximum charge rate of 9 amps.
It does list a Charge/Store Dedicated Battery Management System with a 2 Amp maximum charge rate for Shorai LFX type battery.
I don't have personal experience of this type of battery although I have been looking at them with a view buying one when I replace my current battery.

Do not, I repeat do not use a Lithium Ion battery in this application. I shan't go into the details because it's text-book stuff. A good sealed lead-acid battery is what to use.

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
My b m w car does the same, the trouble is in the voltage regulator. My vin also runs alton but has a regular sealed battery it does not flicker at all.

riptragle1953

Non-VOC Member
You can indeed use this battery if you install the special charging circuit it requires..... it is very much unlike other batteries. I used them in remote control helicopters and my Mac lap top.
If charged by a common battery charger they will overcharge and explode. I was addressing the use of this battery as the gentleman has it rigged now.... and the easiest thing to do would
change batteries.

riptragle1953

Non-VOC Member
Li-po's run at 3.7 volts per cell.... to make a higher voltage battery the cells are wired in series giving 7.4 volts, 11.1 volt etc. They also contain an additional lead and connector that addresses each cell individually. This is
for use with a special balanced charger that charges each equally and evenly.... then shuts down when the correct voltage is gained. Personally I can not see what there is to gain by converting a Vincent for Li-po use.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Dear Rip,
I think we must be talking about a different type of battery.
See the Shorai F.A.Q page at: http://www.shoraipower.com/t-faq.aspx It is still possible that Martyn's problem could be battery related. Fitting another battery would indeed be a quick way to eliminate the battery as a cause.

You can indeed use this battery if you install the special charging circuit it requires..... it is very much unlike other batteries. I used them in remote control helicopters and my Mac lap top.
If charged by a common battery charger they will overcharge and explode. I was addressing the use of this battery as the gentleman has it rigged now.... and the easiest thing to do would
change batteries.

riptragle1953

Non-VOC Member
Big Ed:
I believe Li-po batteries is what they use in electric cars.... as they store more energy for their size that anything else. But a Vincent doesn't need such as there is nothing drawing a lot of power.... but the point I was making
was this fellow can not expect to just wire in a Li-po with an Alton and have it work. He could indeed end up burning up his machine. I have accidentally set small ones ablaze and it is rather impressive!!!!
There are indeed other high-tech batteries available that can be used but I am not knowledgeable as to what they are. A Li-po also has to be charged at a rate equal to their output and not higher.... so they do take a longer
time to charge then standard batteries.... no such thing as quick charging with a Li-po.