Electrical Misery

BigEd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Rip,
As I said in an earlier post we are discussing Martyn's problem using a Shorai Lithium Iron battery. I think what you are saying may well be correct but you may be talking about a different type of battery.

Big Ed:
I believe Li-po batteries is what they use in electric cars.... as they store more energy for their size that anything else. But a Vincent doesn't need such as there is nothing drawing a lot of power.... but the point I was making
was this fellow can not expect to just wire in a Li-po with an Alton and have it work. He could indeed end up burning up his machine. I have accidentally set small ones ablaze and it is rather impressive!!!!
There are indeed other high-tech batteries available that can be used but I am not knowledgeable as to what they are. A Li-po also has to be charged at a rate equal to their output and not higher.... so they do take a longer
time to charge then standard batteries.... no such thing as quick charging with a Li-po.

clevtrev

VOC Member
Big Ed:
I believe Li-po batteries is what they use in electric cars.... as they store more energy for their size that anything else. But a Vincent doesn't need such as there is nothing drawing a lot of power.... but the point I was making
was this fellow can not expect to just wire in a Li-po with an Alton and have it work. He could indeed end up burning up his machine. I have accidentally set small ones ablaze and it is rather impressive!!!!
There are indeed other high-tech batteries available that can be used but I am not knowledgeable as to what they are. A Li-po also has to be charged at a rate equal to their output and not higher.... so they do take a longer
time to charge then standard batteries.... no such thing as quick charging with a Li-po.
A Shorai with it`s dedicated charger, takes about ten minutes to charge. Take note of it`s requirements.

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
Misery resolved – God I hope I am not writing in haste!

After much searching I discovered that there was a wire INSIDE the tail lamp assembly with worn insulation. It was the hot lead to the tail light and was intermittently shorting to earth. Now why this did not blow my main 5 amp fuse (at thebattery) is one of those mysteries that will join the folk law around Lucas, the Prince of Darkness.

I fixed the short and all of my (currently known – gosh I am learning to be cautious) electrical issues seem to be behind me.

Martyn