Misc: Everything Else Electric starters, Batteries and charging systems

Monkeypants

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
All Lithium batteries are Lithium Ion.
Lithium Iron Phosphate ( LiFePo4) is a specific type of Lithium Ion battery.
According to the Lithium Battery folks!

Glen

Last edited:

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Norman, I think you are misunderstanding me, the Halfords batteries that are duff due to being left uncharged are AGM lead acid batteries, Yuasa YTX 14 H BS, the type of battery that Francois Grosset recommends, not the Lipo type batteries that you are talking about.

timetraveller

VOC Member
Ok Peter, Sorry I did not realise they were FLA batteries. It does not surprise me that they were dead after being left for a year. Regarding Glen's comments above, here is something from the internet. Either he has not asked the correct question, not understood the answer or his informants are u/s. Here is little something from the Internet.

When using power sources to run embedded components, it's not always simple to pop in a fresh set of batteries. Newer technologies, from smartphones to electric vehicles to portable power tools, require batteries that can hold a significant amount of energy, be lightweight enough to carry or move, and be safe for the user. Lithium batteries offer all these benefits for portable electronics, vehicles, medical equipment, and even grid energy storage.

Lithium-ion and Lithium iron phosphate are two types of batteries used in today's portable electronics. While they both share some similarities, there are major differences in high-energy density, long life cycles, and safety. Most people are familiar with lithium-ion as they most likely own a smartphone, tablet, or PC. Lithium iron phosphate is a newer type of battery gaining recognition in the manufacturing industries due to its cost-effective materials and stability with high temperatures.

There is much more information on line.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
An Ion is just a particle with a net electrical charge. So lead acid batteries are " Ion" batteries as well.
There is a difference between the LiFePo4 batteries and the Lithium Cobalt phone batteries, but both are jammed full of Ions, we hope!
More internet-, hopefully correct!

Last edited: