Misc: Electric Starters Electric Starter Recommendations

Geoff12

Forum User
VOC Member
Hi, I am looking to get an electric start for my 1954 Rapide and looking for recommendations and advice?
What types are available, installation ease etc?
Any advice would be appreciated
Thanks

Peter Holmes

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Geoff, At the moment the choice is somewhat limited, and it has been that way for quite some time, there have been a few attempts designing an installing an electric starter to a Twin Vincent, but the only one that has had any real success and longevity is the Francois Grosset starter, lots of info on this forum if you use the search icon. I have used one for several years and have been very pleased with it.
There is talk of Herve and Paul Hamon (of Alton fame) designing and manufacturing a starter system for the twin, but I do not know anything about the progress of that venture.

Last edited:

craig

VOC Member
Demarreur_TopLow.jpg

any news on this Herve Harmon starter?

I see an article in May 2021 Classic Bike UK magazine.

Last edited:

Albervin

VOC Member
Quite a few problems with the ring gear being too hard and teeth stripping off. New gear is not so hard and hopefully not make a big mess!

vibrac

VOC Member
I think the gestation stage will be long if the Comet starter is anything to go by. Perhaps Bananaman will have an idea

clevtrev

VOC Member
Quite a few problems with the ring gear being too hard and teeth stripping off. New gear is not so hard and hopefully not make a big mess!
We have and original one running, 23 years now, but then the bike is set up properly.