Electric starter on a comet ?

b'knighted

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hello b' knighted, your starter originally had a plastic block just like that one. The duplex sprocket was an upgrade. John.
Thanks John,
It all adds to the learning circle. I had visions of further modifying to allow an external adjustment of the tensioner and thought that modifying the plastic block may be easier. Did you make the sprocket from scratch?

john998

VOC Member
Hello Ian, no it was all Bob Dunn's handy work. It occurred to me that if the tensioning sprocket was spring loaded it would have worked better, but it would have been harder to arrange. Regards John .

b'knighted

VOC Member
Hello Ian, no it was all Bob Dunn's handy work. It occurred to me that if the tensioning sprocket was spring loaded it would have worked better, but it would have been harder to arrange. Regards John .
Thank you. I found I had to adjust it before assembly. There doesn't appear to be space for a coil spring but either a curved leaf spring or a tensioning bolt from underneath may work. As the chain is static when the engine is running it only needs to take the slack out of the bottom of the chain to hold the chain in deep contact with the sprockets while the top is pulled tight during starting. This would suggest that a screw adjuster in compression may be better than a spring.

vibrac

VOC Member
I have admired that newby and tractor stater before both my race comets have his belt drive magic! Did the gear at the back come with the tractor starter? I bet it was some californion special tractor we can't get bits for in UK sorry about any spelling etc slumming with iPad where is me key board?

davidd

VOC Member
I have admired that newby and tractor stater before both my race comets have his belt drive magic! Did the gear at the back come with the tractor starter? I bet it was some californion special tractor we can't get bits for in UK sorry about any spelling etc slumming with iPad where is me key board?

Tim,

You are close! Bill Norton lives in Pennsylvania, which is Amish country. There are many agricultural shops with a wide variety of parts. He wanders into one of them and walks out with the parts. He is headed to the International, but I will see if he knows what he got. Often he does not because they are so helpful!

David

David Townsend

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Bananaman may give us the latest but I believe Grossett or another "french connection" is testing one at the moment but thats been the case for at least 3 years to my knowledge.
Till then may I suggest a good mag , lowish compression a dual plug head and a HD pop out decompressor
Thanks for that, I'll look in to that further.
Regards,
Dave