Misc: Everything Else Electric start shear pin

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The shear pin in the Grossett electric start is there a spec for these? or a UK supplier?

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I don't know as I don't have one fitted, but I know of two people who have had teeth break off the sprag clutch and the shear pin has not even been slightly damaged, so it didn't appear to do its job.

deejay499

VOC Member
I have had a couple of shear pins go and got replacements from Francois. Conways fit the starters so may have, or can make, shear pins.

Bill Cannon

VOC Member
Sorry I don't know the spec, but I also had three sprag clutches lose teeth but never broken a shear pin.
Bill

vibrac

VOC Member
My first electric start teeth failed on first startrtup the replacement was fine I think there was a bad batch, we are talking about 4-5 years ago?

craig

VOC Member
Extra pin comes with kit.
Large OD=4.03mm
Small OD = 3.11-3.25
Length = 20mm > 3, 3.5, 7, 3.5, 3

seems to be magnetic

Attachments

• GrossetShearPin1.jpg
    GrossetShearPin1.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

vibrac

VOC Member
Thanks for that, I suppose shear strength also depends on what its made of: stainless ? mild steel? hardened steel?

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
I have to say that a shear pin does seem to be a fairly crude method of controlling mechanical damage, it has been used to protect propellers on marine engines for many years, but with the Grosset starter it is all we have so we have to live with it. When I was having my Grosset starter fitted last year (by Francois) it was a bit of a joke from Francois that a few users had found it a great solution to install a nail of the correct size to avoid any further problems, I don’t think it amused Francois that much though.