ET: Engine (Twin) Electric start, Rapide

Peter Holmes

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
One problem I do experience with the Grosset starter is selecting 1st gear from neutral when you are stationary on an incline, I have to try and push the bike forward whilst simultaneously hooking the gear lever up with my right boot, all a bit tricky for me, is this unique to my set up, or does everyone that has a Grosset starter experience the same niggle.

vibrac

VOC Member
Re post #8 Years ago ,the first day I had it, I got a replacement and always use a de compressor and I hold the clutch in when switching on a coil ignition

Last edited:

vibrac

VOC Member
One problem I do experience with the Grosset starter is selecting 1st gear from neutral when you are stationary on an incline, I have to try and push the bike forward whilst simultaneously hooking the gear lever up with my right boot, all a bit tricky for me, is this unique to my set up, or does everyone that has a Grosset starter experience the same niggle.
typical sprag clutch

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
Pete,
"They all do that, sir." It's even trickier with the added weight of a sidecar as it is not possible to go backwards in gear with the clutch disengaged. Even the slightest backwards movement will lock it up. On a hill stop this often means keeping it in gear, clutch pulled in and the brakes full on. Not the best practice but there it is.
Hugo

Sakura

Non-VOC Member
Bearing in mind the Grosset starter is a retrofit on a difficult gearbox arrangement it is incredibly successful and good value for money. Most other conversions are done on pre-unit engines. It's more difficult on a unit construction engine. Thank you Francois/Trevor say I.

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
I find the non reversing of the bike when in gear is very handy on a hill with both feet on the ground, clutch in and throttle hand ready to increase tick over for take-off. Camita's "C" Rap has one 17 years ago and my "B" Rap had it fitted 2 years ago, with one sprag failure that was repaired in 3 to four days by Trevor, very efficient service.
bananaman.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
Chris Kleps has the Grosset starter on his Egli. It was problematic for years with lots of broken shear pins.
Fairly recently the engine had major work done. I believe Robert Watson was elected to set valve timing. With valve timing set via the equal lift method, the bike now starts perfectly. It doesn't kickback and it doesn't break shear pins.
So the starter was fine all along, cam timing was the culprit.

Glen

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Marcus, that is probably ok for a short stop, but I am not comfortable keeping the clutch lifted for long periods of time, that seems to be bad practice to me, so I select neutral, and if I am on an incline I then struggle to select 1st gear.

erik

VOC Member
I am Fitting a Grosset starter kit in the Moment on my rapide. All the work with a lathe is done by a friend ,but all the other work is a straight go and no Problem.I am thinking About a Splash guard which prolonges the rear mudguard so that the starter Motor has an easier life, keeping moisture and dirt away.Later I will fit the Dave Hills stand and Try to fit an additionel oilfilter in the return oil line.Erik