Misc: Everything Else Electric start question

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Its some time since I fitted a Grossett electric start and I have a question I cannot remember coming up before and I cannot find any hints in my notes
The green oil seal shown in picture 1 I assume this is the one labeled as ES9 in the parts list 'Ratchet oil seal' however it does not apear in any sketch or instructions as to where it fits . I thought perhaps the end of sprag gear? but that only shows a wheel shim (as reqd) and ESV5.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Its some time since I fitted a Grossett electric start and I have a question I cannot remember coming up before and I cannot find any hints in my notes
The green oil seal shown in picture 1 I assume this is the one labeled as ES9 in the parts list 'Ratchet oil seal' however it does not apear in any sketch or instructions as to where it fits . I thought perhaps the end of sprag gear? but that only shows a wheel shim (as reqd) and ESV5.

View attachment 26026
That looks like the same seal that is on my sprag clutch and it seals around the ratchet on the main body of the sprag clutch

vibrac

VOC Member
That looks like the same seal that is on my sprag clutch and it seals around the ratchet on the main body of the sprag clutch
Eddie there is already a black seal in the ratchet side of the sprag clutch I thought perhaps it went on the other side but it's not shown in the picture instructions. I can't think where the green seal goes perhaps it's not the 'ratchet seal' on the parts list. But it certainly came with the kit.

mercurycrest

VOC Member
But it certainly came with the kit.

When I was in the US Coast Guard there was a rivalry between the Enginemen EN's) and Electricians (EM's). When they EN's had one of the main engines torn apart, I got into their Spares Locker and tossed a few extra Piston Rod Cap nuts into their parts bucket! Maybe Grosset has a Mini Me? :D

Last edited by a moderator:

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Eddie there is already a black seal in the ratchet side of the sprag clutch I thought perhaps it went on the other side but it's not shown in the picture instructions. I can't think where the green seal goes perhaps it's not the 'ratchet seal' on the parts list. But it certainly came with the kit.
Dear Tim,
A quick snap of both sides of my sprag clutch.

vibrac

VOC Member
Well I sat and thought it's not a Vincent part and it's not an electric start part because its slightly smaller than the sprag clutch one and that's already fitted (but it was in the electric start box?) and then today Ben needed one! it's the oil seal on the needle roller on the final drive/main shaft of the Surtees five speed gearbox it must have dropped into the electric start box when unpacking it's also not mentioned in the gearbox contents list
It goes to show how well we are served with standard parts lists not for us the vageries of Haynes manuals unless of course we stray to non standard parts:cool: