Electric start for Vincent twin

craig

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
What the latest on electric start for Vincent?
Grosset? Hamel? others?
Website?
prices?
Who has installed the latest Vincent electric start in the past year?
Battery model number?
Thanks
Craig

Chrish

Non-VOC Member
Hi Michael,

What type of charging system is to be used and where will it be located? and when will it be for sale?.

The starter certainly turns the engine over quite rapidly.

Chris

davidd

VOC Member
Hi Michael,

What type of charging system is to be used and where will it be located? and when will it be for sale?.

Chris

Chris,

I believe that the ignition/alternator is for sale now for 1750 Euros. The ignition unit provides 150 w of power. I believe the ATD cover needs to be modified to fit over the giant nut on the end of the shaft. I do not think the starter is for sale yet. It uses a Newby clutch. You can contact:

http://vinsparesgermany.com/pricelist.htm

David

krautrapide

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Not quite right, David. There's no giant nut under the ATD cover, but the electronic ignition pick up system. It requires a little spacer ring, which comes within the scope of supply. The clutch is a multiplate clutch, made by Ernst himself. To answer Chris' question: The charging system is a combined alternator/iginition unit in place of the magneto, driven by the timing system. The charger is available, the starter system still needs some more testing (Ernst is known to having everything of his developments tested to its very limit!)

Michael

Diogenes

Non-VOC Member
END QUOTE

Yes it appears so on the video.

It would be interesting to see a repeat performance with spark plugs fitted, to provide a realistic test against compression.

I wonder how long the timing gears will last?

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
"I wonder how long the timing gears will last?"

My thought too. The builder has likely given this some consideration as well. If the load on the gears is not greater than with an original Magneto, then it ought to hold up just fine. If the load is much greater than that, then the gears might not like it for very long.

Glen

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Don't forget with respect to the timing gears, they are only replacing the magneto for an alternator with built in ignition pickup. Comets drive their dynamo from the timing gears and several comets drive car alternators from the timing gears via a dummy shaft sucessfully.
The starter in the above German system drives into the primary from where the original dynamo fits.

Simon

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
I assumed Diogenes last sentence " I wonder how long the timing gears will last" is in reference to the ignition/charge unit combo.

As far as the need to demo the starter unit against full compression, I dont see that as necessary. The demo shows how the engine will spin over with the comp release pulled, which seems to me is the logical way to start these motors. There appears to be a much higher rotation speed than could be obtained with a kickstart with compression release pulled. There is no need for a starter sytem so powerful that it will crank it over without the compression release when the lever is right there on the handlebar.
It looks very promising. I like the idea of using a Bendix rather than an easy to shatter sprag, plus the mounting location is excellent.

Glen

Last edited: