Electric start for Vincent twin

Monkeypants

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
looks as though the demo takes place at a trade show,so many demos may have been done thru the day, hence the need for extra batteries.
I ve installed the largest lithium ion battery made by Ballard, about the same cold cranking power as a car battery. It only weighs 2.5 pound and is tucked under the seat hump. The expectation is that it will run a starter something like the one in the demo.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
thanks Ian

I forgot to renew my membership , so had to reregister. The system would not let me register as Monkeypants, so a new name was needed.
As I mentioned to Tracey, I have been a Monkeypants for long enough!

Glen

b'knighted

VOC Member
Hi Glen, we will miss Monkeypants, his skill was legendary!

Now I need to find out if the same story applies to Vince R of Devon, who should be a member of my section. If you are reading this Vince, our section meeting is this coming Sunday lunchtime. See you there?

Cheers,

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
With the name Monkeypants the bar was set very low, so it was easy to succeed. As Glenliman there is the expectation of a high standard which brings a degree of stress.
Ive already caved under the pressure. Just this morning I tried to weld some Aluminium using DC current.

Oh, the shame!:D

Glen

krautrapide

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Right you are Glen. But the alternator PTO is a small gearbox which reduces the load on the timing gear. The system has been built into several engines in the meantime and no trouble was heard so far.

We are still experimenting with the starter motor and different sprocket ratios. The motor in the video needs the valve lifter for commencing the first turn, something we want to avoid with the next model.

Michael

Black Flash

VOC Member
looks as though the demo takes place at a trade show,so many demos may have been done thru the day, hence the need for extra batteries.
I ve installed the largest lithium ion battery made by Ballard, about the same cold cranking power as a car battery. It only weighs 2.5 pound and is tucked under the seat hump. The expectation is that it will run a starter something like the one in the demo.

I do own a TVR Chimaera with the old Rover V8 lump in it. Unfortunately the battery is in the front footwell of the passenger side. the problem is that when we go out my wife can enjoy the drinks while I cannot, simply because I cannot sit in the passenger seat due to lack of legroom.
this is a problem that occured not only to me but also to fellow friends in England. They came up with a battery made by Odyssey which has the size of a motorcycle battery but turns over a 5 litre V8 faster than any other battery I have seen before.
they probably make motorcycle batteries as well.