• Welcome to the website of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club.

Should you have any questions relating to the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club, or Vincent H.R.D. motorcycles in general, please contact Graham Smith, Hon. Editor and Webmaster by calling 07977 001 025 or please CLICK HERE.

You are unrecognised, and therefore, only have VERY restricted access to the many features of this website.

If you have previously registered to use this forum, you should log in now. CLICK HERE.

If you have never registered to use this website before, please CLICK HERE.

Scam? Eight Day Clock

vin998

Well Known and Active Website User
VOC Member
Anybody wanting an 8 day clock for their Vincent be aware this is not the correct item:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINCENT-HRD-MOTORCYCLE-CLOCK-MADE-BY-SMITHS-JAEGER-LONDON-/263888293241?hash=item3d70f7cd79:g:q64AAOSwXiZbcDoc&nma=true&si=sFlejvbAp6lC2LAH0VgUYBo4asQ%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

A friend of mine Russell who professionally restores speedos and clocks and recently restored an original 8 day motorcycle clock for me highlighted this eBay advert as wrong. The clock in the advert is not for a motorcycle as it has a different deeper case and is from a car. The correct motorcycle 8 day clock has a body the same size and depth as a chronometric speedo body and takes the same screw on chronometric chrome bezel. The clock movement from a motorcycle 8 day clock is also different to fit in the smaller body and withstand the vibration from been sat on the top of the motorcycle front forks. The only part correct in the eBay advert is the box. Russell showed me an original pamphlet for the Smiths / Jaeger 8 day clock and the pamphlet in the advert has been altered.

Last edited by a moderator:

genedn

VOC Member
Anybody wanting an 8 day clock for their Vincent be aware this is not the correct item:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINCENT-HRD-MOTORCYCLE-CLOCK-MADE-BY-SMITHS-JAEGER-LONDON-/263888293241?hash=item3d70f7cd79:g:q64AAOSwXiZbcDoc&nma=true&si=sFlejvbAp6lC2LAH0VgUYBo4asQ%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

A friend of mine Russell who professionally restores speedos and clocks and recently restored an original 8 day motorcycle clock for me highlighted this eBay advert as wrong. The clock in the advert is not for a motorcycle as it has a different deeper case and is from a car. The correct motorcycle 8 day clock has a body the same size and depth as a chronometric speedo body and takes the same screw on chronometric chrome bezel. The clock movement from a motorcycle 8 day clock is also different to fit in the smaller body and withstand the vibration from been sat on the top of the motorcycle front forks. The only part correct in the eBay advert is the box. Russell showed me an original pamphlet for the Smiths / Jaeger 8 day clock and the pamphlet in the advert has been altered.
Simon,

This person has been selling these fake clocks for years. I have listed the activity with Ebay as fraudulent many times and to no avail. I know its a matter of doing the research and buyer be ware but this a fragrant lie. This person is feeding on unsuspecting people and taking large sums of money from them under false pretences.

Best,

Eugene.

johncrispin

VOC Member
Yes, due to my impatience I fell for the same scam, I enquired of the vendor suspecting a difference but the clock had been mounted in a quite neat wooden shaped block. So the photos did not show the body, which is the giveaway, because as said above it is deeper and not in the speedo type case which matches. I made an offer for it which was accepted, but I had been having computer graphics problems and to be fair to the vendor I asked for a shot showing the body, which was sent but my PC played up and did not show it before I had pressed the buy button... doh
I might at least be able to salvage something for it as it does have a good condition clock face. A member local to me who is into cars told me they are worth repairing. Apparently they were fitted into glove box lids etc in the fifties cars with lovely wooden dashboards so there is some demand for them in the car fraternity. I will report on the outcome when I have an estimate of the repair cost, I will try Russell first as he refurbed my 5" clock.