Egli with Alternator

BigEd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
It certainly looks like a Citroen type alternator in which case it will have loads of generating capacity.:cool:

The alternator looks to be mounted a long way back, can't make out if it has a belt fitted.

Anyone know any details about this machine? Is it an unfinished project as on closer inspection I can't see any cables to the front brake, no silencer and no battery although I guess that could be housed in the seat tail.

There are some interesting mods to the timing case with what looks like a filler welded to the rear of the cover and oiling system pipes seem to go to different locations on the engine.

http://www.caferacerculture.net/2013/02/racer.html

Has a Grosset starter. Is the alt. a Walkernator? The body is pretty small.

timetraveller

VOC Member
Dick Sherwin phoned me last night with a similar query. Is it really one of our? There is no doubt that the alternator is one of the Iskra ones which we use on our kits. Please note that the Citiroen 2CVs etc use a very wide range of alternator manufactures, at least nine if I remember correctly, so it is not just the fact that it is a 2CV type alternator, but also the fact that it is an Iskra that made me think that it was one of ours. In addition I do remember when we first started doing these kits, that we had an enquiry from someone as to whether it could be fitted to an Egli and in the end they bought a kit to use as much of it as they could. I'm pretty sure that that enquiry was from the UK. I assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that this was the bike. I agree with BigEd that it is not clear whether a belt is actually fitted but if not then there would be no problem in getting a belt to fit. For those unfamiliar with the output of these alternators they give up to 30 amps and, with our standard set up, balance all normal loads at tickover or just over. Heated grips, gloves, extra lights, electronic or coil ignition, trafficators etc at 2,000 engine rpm.

Last edited:

Howard

VOC Member
Picture.jpg

Citroen/Iskra alternator on Egli. Scuze the state, she's in need of a spring clean.

H

timetraveller

VOC Member
They still are, and always have been, £350 for all models apart from the ‘B’s which require a few extra parts and cost £385. However, I was only keeping the price down to this by buying ten alternators at a time and I now have either run out or only have one left. (I need to check in the Walker cave to be sure.) I still have lots of the other parts left. Last year at the request of Peter Holmes I modified a kit to take a Nippon Denso alternator which is slightly longer and has a diameter about 10 mm less than the Iskra unit. These have a 40 amp, as opposed to 30 amp, output and have the regulator built in. Also, available at extra cost, they have very nice connector for the input and output. In addition they also have an output for a warning light and an electronic rev counter. Originally I was suspicious about using these alternators as neither Dick nor I had used one ourselves and personally I did not like the rather short input shaft which did not allow me to fit a key. The original system has a Woodruff key in every place where slip could occur. However, I found a way around the input shaft problem and Peter has used his for several months so it looks as though there is now an alternative. Let me know if any of this is of interest and we can communicate directly. In addition I have all the front fork spring you require but still have not made the trip down to Devon as I am still making parts for the job down there.

mercurycrest

VOC Member
Those Denso Alternators are for forklifts and smaller farm tractors, I've got one on my tractor and it's Bullet Proof. I just bought a second one last week to put on the Moggy F4.
Cheers, John

vibrac

VOC Member
Hi Norman
Your 30W alternators are enough, why bother with 40W? as it is I have fried the battery I had on the comet last year!. As the Flash is nearly finished I shall pension off the Alphabet twin from competition So if I am going to use it on the road more I shall have to sort out something better than a dummy dynamo and a rechargeable battery so keep one for me
heck I may even reattach that electric leg thats been on my shelf for 10 years...