Egli/Vincent sound of music?

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Standard Bill! Standard????? The telescopic forks, different wheels, rear sets, fairing,, fully sprung seat, monoshock rear . Absolutely standard old boy. You can fool some of the people some of the time but not all the people all the time.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
That is a really nice photo Bill, the bike looks to be going quite fast, but then I notice it is in first gear, I guess it was a high first gear and you were wringing its neck, or does the camera lie?

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Standard Bill! Standard????? The telescopic forks, different wheels, rear sets, fairing,, fully sprung seat, monoshock rear . Absolutely standard old boy. You can fool some of the people some of the time but not all the people all the time.
Well spotted Norman, I thought I would get away with it, Because Simon says, "There is no such thing as a Standard Vincent" :) .

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
That is a really nice photo Bill, the bike looks to be going quite fast, but then I notice it is in first gear, I guess it was a high first gear and you were wringing its neck, or does the camera lie?
It was going Fast Peter, That's why I was braking Hard for the hairpin !, Cadwell Park !,
Look at the front forks, Well Squashed !.
That Standard Norton Disc was the best !, With the small round pads, Very soft pads that didn't last long!
So Norton made them harder, But I preferred the old soft pad.

Normski

Non-VOC Member
This is the set up I’m using at the moment. The horizontal kickstart looks strange but works well and is a good conversation piece!
E6C32C9C-CD13-49C9-9445-B2B9198478FF.jpeg
451B4282-95E4-4733-8377-B030D68CC095.jpeg

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
Ah! the start video shows that the Egli has one of those pelvis breaking hip cracking Honda kick start levers with the small splined shafts, horrible things (IMO)

Not exactly a Honda, the knuckle is made from 4140 and has a standard Vincent spline to fit the Vincent quadrant shaft.
The upper section started life as two Honda kick levers welded together. That arrangement twisted up like a pretzel so big ugly gussets were added.
It works.
One day I'll build a new prettier upper section.
Maybe!
I could not get the standard kicker to come close to clearing the exhaust etc.
As much as I like the standard kicker on a 998 cc bike, it's just too short to ever roll this engine through compression , as in, to start it.

Glen

Last edited:

b'knighted

VOC Member
Great to see the improvements to your bike, Norm. I never did like the yellow battery.

Any chance of an extra picture, similar to your top one but with the footrest folded for kickstart use?

Normski

Non-VOC Member
Great to see the improvements to your bike, Norm. I never did like the yellow battery.

Any chance of an extra picture, similar to your top one but with the footrest folded for kickstart use?
Bad luck Ian, those pictures were taken before the yellow battery! I’ve now bought some canary yellow Tygon tube for the oil return, to match the battery.

Last edited: