Egli/Vincent sound of music?

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Ah! the start video shows that the Egli has one of those pelvis breaking hip cracking Honda kick start levers with the small splined shafts, horrible things (IMO)

Normski

Non-VOC Member
Ah! the start video shows that the Egli has one of those pelvis breaking hip cracking Honda kick start levers with the small splined shafts, horrible things (IMO)
What do you suggest as an alternative Tim?

vibrac

VOC Member
The original lever with some clever folding foot rest work
I have also built a folding gear lever with an internal spring and 'L' slot as its only the foot piece of the gearchange that gets in the way. Thankfully on the Egli Comet with an AMC box a folding footrest plus a narrow gearchange that will slip above the gear change pivot an option difficult to achive on a twin.
If you are young and lisome you may have no trouble with the Honda one but the spline may not last.

Normski

Non-VOC Member
The original lever with some clever folding foot rest work
I have also built a folding gear lever with an internal spring and 'L' slot as its only the foot piece of the gearchange that gets in the way. Thankfully on the Egli Comet with an AMC box a folding footrest plus a narrow gearchange that will slip above the gear change pivot an option difficult to achive on a twin.
If you are young and lisome you may have no trouble with the Honda one but the spline may not last.
When I bought my Egli it had a standard kickstart which stuck into my leg when riding and made things uncomfortable. Following a suggestion from the section disorganiser who showed me a photo of a folding combined footrest/gearchange I made a crude version of this which I’ve used since. It needs refining but has served quite well. Main problems are the kickstart doesn’t clear the gear-lever, footrest and gear selector lever by enough and I have to be very careful if wearing overtrousers and the pattern AMC kickstart lever which I used for the lower part has bent a little.
On Dave Dunfey’s suggestion I indexed the lever to sit low ( actually near horizontal) which looks wrong but works very well. Ideally I would like to raise the footrests a tad and to achieve this I’d need to index it a little higher.
I’ve bought one of the kickstart shafts with the splines for a Honda kickstart and hope to try this sometime to try to overcome the problems mentioned above with the current set up. Biggest problem looks to be getting it to sit snug when folded in without fouling the gearbox cover. I don’t know if the smaller splines will be problematic or not but it came from a man who knows what he is doing with Vincents.

Normski

Non-VOC Member
As shown to Normski
This is the picture Ian showed me. My version is quite crude in comparison but works the same and has worked well enough for some 10k miles for me not to have got on with improving it.
E13E4DF7-01D9-4DDB-B9B8-A60646F5925E.jpeg

vibrac

VOC Member
I would call that an excellent solution retention of the original kickstart is worth the effort

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
As you know I am a standard man, Liked to keep the standard kicker !,
Just bent it about a bit :) .
It lasted years, Till I let a Big Fella have a race on it at Curborough.
He didn't use the valve lifter like me.

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    488 KB · Views: 30