Egli-Vincent Engine Numbers

davidd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I should have mentioned that Slater also used the "VIN" as a prefix on some of his frame production. These were mostly the nickel plated frames made by Cheney.

The original Fritz Egli machines did have steering stops, but it was that the Ceriani forks had a damper mount that connected to the frame like the Vincent and the fork used this strap as the steering stop. Roger went with Metal Profile forks and apparently did not provide a stop. These early bikes used the original side stand, left or right, but were legnthened to little avail.

There are no records. When Roger was asked about the number of complete bikes he built his reply was four of five. When he was asked about the number of frames he bought from Fritz he thought he bought one. They were too expensive for him to buy more. However, it was probably more like 40 plus frames.

David

Trevor Lever

Forum User
VOC Member
My 70 Shadow didn’t even have a cover over the distributor when I bought it. An inner tube over the dist sufficed fr many yrs, as did a big mud flap.
When we purchased the bike in Nov 71, I joined the VOC soon after.
I remember Trevor Thomas telling me at the time that he thought it had been raced on the Continent, prior to shipment to Aus.
When the bike arrived here in Aus a mag did an article on it at the time. The caption with the pic on the front cover said “Egli What!” The cables were frayed, which I thought strange for the age of it, two yrs old then.
Someone may have removed the orig fr stand/mag cover for racing purposes.
The Lucas generator just kept up with the distributor till the lights were turned on.
After recently recommissioning after some 35yr lay-off it has had the usual updates added. Alton, BTH, V3 etc.
Hip was replaced last month. Hopefully I’ll be back on it soon!
Ciao T.

Martyn Goodwin

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
My 70 Shadow didn’t even have a cover over the distributor when I bought it. An inner tube over the dist sufficed fr many yrs, as did a big mud flap.
When we purchased the bike in Nov 71, I joined the VOC soon after.
I remember Trevor Thomas telling me at the time that he thought it had been raced on the Continent, prior to shipment to Aus.
When the bike arrived here in Aus a mag did an article on it at the time. The caption with the pic on the front cover said “Egli What!” The cables were frayed, which I thought strange for the age of it, two yrs old then.
Someone may have removed the orig fr stand/mag cover for racing purposes.
The Lucas generator just kept up with the distributor till the lights were turned on.
After recently recommissioning after some 35yr lay-off it has had the usual updates added. Alton, BTH, V3 etc.
Hip was replaced last month. Hopefully I’ll be back on it soon!
Ciao T.
Nice list of updates - but I am confused. I check the parts list but cannot find the part number for the hip you replace on the bike? Is that the RFM pivot??

M o_O