PR: Proprietary Items Egli Vincent Comet Speedo Drive?

evcomet

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
First post. New member with a "Vincent in a Barn" project.
I acquired an unbuilt Swiss made Egli Comet late last year. I was fortunate enough to be referred to David Dunfey for guidance. David has provided photos and details that have been an enormous help.
At the moment I am having difficulty finding room to fit a Smiths speedo drive at the rear wheel.
Rear brake is a 2LS Grimeca .
By time I align sprockets there is only 17mm to install a 25 mm wide speedo drive.
Any advice would be appreciated .

Jerry

evcomet

VOC Member
I have a Grimeca 4LS front drum without a speedo cable connection. When I figure out how to upload to this site, I will attach a coupl of pics to help explain better.

Jerry

greg brillus

VOC Member
You might have to go electronic with a small magnetic pickup on one of the wheels, then use one of the new replica smiths electronic speedo's........ just a thought. Cheers.............Greg.

vibrac

VOC Member
I am in the midst of rebuilding a 1970s. Egli Comet with grimeca wheels remembering the greif I had with the old mangle cable drives back then I never hesitated to plan for a electronic speedo
My choice at the moment is a simiths classic from Vincent spares or an acewell with a set of tell tale lights hidden in the round dial
There is little point in being a slave to originality that attached to a machine that back in the day was offered as a kit anyway. I should know I bought a kit initially I mostly raced it and only had a rev counter it was always call disappointment that I had memorised revs in gears for speed limits but was never stopped and asked for a 'means of measuring speed'

Black Flash

VOC Member
Hello Jerry,
I am using the same 4ls front brake as you do. I bought a speedo drive - ringgear and drive- a couple of years ago at a swap meet for about 40 Euros.
It was not the first time I saw this kit for sale so I am sure they will still be around.
The direction of rotation is correct for my Chronometric speedo and the speed shown with my 19 inch front wheel seems quite okay but I will check carefully once the bike is back on the road again.
Just keep looking I believe that there is a good chance that you will find the part.

Bernd

Mike 40M

VOC Member
It's a bit like swearing in the church, but a quick and dirty solution is to use a smartphone app to show speed.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I am in the midst of rebuilding a 1970s. Egli Comet with grimeca wheels remembering the greif I had with the old mangle cable drives back then I never hesitated to plan for a electronic speedo
My choice at the moment is a simiths classic from Vincent spares or an acewell with a set of tell tale lights hidden in the round dial
There is little point in being a slave to originality that attached to a machine that back in the day was offered as a kit anyway. I should know I bought a kit initially I mostly raced it and only had a rev counter it was always call disappointment that I had memorised revs in gears for speed limits but was never stopped and asked for a 'means of measuring speed'
Vibrac, We played the same games on a Twin !!, But a bit more tricky with a Comet !.
Now I am a Good Old Boy !, And use one of these Push bike speedo's, They give you the Time, Av' speed, How long the ride was, I use them on all my bikes, And if you want to , You can tune ! them to read faster than is real !!. Cheers Bill.