Egli Tubing

davidd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have been toiling with round tubing lately, which is used on Egli frames. One of the things I wanted to do was to cut or bend tubing where the cuts or bends were related to each other, usually slices or bends on opposite ends of the tubes. It is usually easy to make the cuts, the trick is, making them in the same plane. If bends are made on Vincent handlebars that are not in the same plane, then one wrist is pointed awkwardly up, while the other is pointed awkwardly down.

An inexpensive tool, often called a "no-dog" is used. It is placed on one end of the tube, usually at the center line, and a bend or cut is made. The tube is then flipped around the other way and the "no-dog is placed in the level position. The bend or cut can be completed. These slices are on the front and back of an Egli oil tank:
Frame 4 2016 9.jpg

Here is one on the center line of a 4" diameter tube. I am making a "baloney cut" on the other end. Here is the end with the cut:

Frame 4 2016 12.jpg

Swap the ends and level up:

Frame 4 2016 13.jpg

Then cut:

Frame 4 2016 14.jpg

Once the tube was clamped, I put it on the back of the tube where I could watch it to see if the tube rotated by mistake. As long as the down pressure is light enough, it is not an issue.

I realize most folks rarely do this type of cutting, but if you need to, there is no easier way to do it. The tool is inexpensive and readily available at electrical suppliers. Electricians who do conduit use these to prevent "dog legs" on the off sets they make when bending conduits. That is why they are called "no dogs".

David

litnman

VOC Member
If the saw is level/square, I heavily ink mark at about the correct point then use a tri-square blade in the vertical position while the bubble is in the level position. Make sense? Probably easier to send a photo.

davidd

VOC Member
If the saw is level/square, I heavily ink mark at about the correct point then use a tri-square blade in the vertical position while the bubble is in the level position. Make sense? Probably easier to send a photo.

Yes! I do not have a tri-square even though I should. It is a little more difficult to use the tri-square on smaller tubing. I got the no dog for bending handlebars originally. I thought it was a cheap handy tool.

Because I have a lot of tubing around, I usually take two pieces of tubing clamp them together and draw a chain saw file down both. This marks the tangent. I flip them over while they are still clamped together and do it again to get the second center line.

David

vibrac

VOC Member
After a walk round a harbour freight store in USA and my comparison with the joke DIY stores in UK (even France is miles better) I think the sign 'no dogs allowed' would apply to the UK unless someone knows better

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
After a walk round a harbour freight store in USA and my comparison with the joke DIY stores in UK (even France is miles better) I think the sign 'no dogs allowed' would apply to the UK unless someone knows better

If you think Harbor Freight is good you should come to Metro Detroit. My house is situated such that two blocks west is a Harbor Freight and four blocks east is a Lowes. Two miles south is a Home Depot and a Production Tool Supply, a further four miles is a Whole Sale Tool. Living in the Metro Detroit area home improvement/lumber yards and industrial / precision tool suppliers abound. I don't know one tool supplier that doesn't have a sign saying open to the public and a walk in catalog desk at the least that'll sell direct to anyone.
Steven

ericg

VOC Member
If they are better EVEN in France, UK stores should be real bad!!! :)
Eric in France.

tatty500

Non-VOC Member
Classic Biker
I bet you cant find one of these automatic centre punches at any of your stores!
Tatty

Attachments

• DSCF0994.JPG
    DSCF0994.JPG
    666.7 KB · Views: 40