Egli Tank and Seat questions

evcomet

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Looking for a 'Fritz Peier' style tank. Does anyone make/sell a fiberglass example?
Also would like a seat in the style of the Egli race model.(photo #19 on p.143 of the new "Untold Story" book)

I have seen relatively recent photos of Egli's with this tank and seat combination. Hoping that I do not have to make my own patterns.

Picture is what I have.
20170131_094237 copy.jpg

Jerry

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Well done Jerry, I think you are going to have to look through all the threads again !!, There has been a lot of talk about fiberglass tanks, With the Ethernol in the petrol, Don't look good, I don't think I would trust one, Hope I am wrong. Cheers Bill.

evcomet

VOC Member
Well done Jerry, I think you are going to have to look through all the threads again !!, There has been a lot of talk about fiberglass tanks, With the Ethernol in the petrol, Don't look good, I don't think I would trust one, Hope I am wrong. Cheers Bill.

Bill,
I agree with your concerns of fiberglass and todays fuels.
What I want to do is purchase something to use as a pattern. I have the tools and ability to make an alloy copy of a tank. (I would also be glad to purchase a finished part)
The tank I have is acceptable as a pattern, it is just not as shapely to my eye as the 'Peier' tank.

Jerry

timetraveller

VOC Member
Concerning fibreglass and ethanol. I have mentioned this before on the Forum but it seems that the message has not got through. There are fibreglass resins which will withstand ethanol. I have made several tanks with this and before doing so I made test samples which were hung in a 5 gallon jerry can for a month to see what happened. They were still perfect. Norman Lord has had some of these and he then coats the inside with a layer of a modern ethanol resisting substance as a belt and braces sort of extra protection. The down side is that the finished product, before being coated inside, has to be baked at about 73 deg C for several hours after being made in order to cure the resin. Just don't ask me to make one at the moment as steering heads are taking up a lot of my time.

davidd

VOC Member
Jerry,

Seeing as those photos are very familiar to me and not to others, here is Fritz Pieier's bike:

Fritz Pieir.GIF

Below is the tank and seat that I made. The tank is now being made in aluminum by Legendary Motorcycles, but the seat is a copy of the original solo seat:

Egli DD Tank Seat 6.jpg

I had hoped to make a new tank and seat based on the Pieir tank and what I call the "Swiss" seat, which is similar to the racing seat above, but designed to work with a rear mudguard. I have not had any time to start these projects, but here is the seat that I liked:

Egli Swiss Seat.GIF

David

Attachments

• Egli Swiss Seat.GIF
    Egli Swiss Seat.GIF
    147.1 KB · Views: 7
  • Fritz Pieir.GIF
    Fritz Pieir.GIF
    215 KB · Views: 9

evcomet

VOC Member
Jerry,

Seeing as those photos are very familiar to me and not to others, here is Fritz Pieier's bike:

View attachment 15878

Below is the tank and seat that I made. The tank is now being made in aluminum by Legendary Motorcycles, but the seat is a copy of the original solo seat:

View attachment 15875

I had hoped to make a new tank and seat based on the Pieir tank and what I call the "Swiss" seat, which is similar to the racing seat above, but designed to work with a rear mudguard. I have not had any time to start these projects, but here is the seat that I liked:

View attachment 15879

David

David,

The Pieir seat in your photo is what I hope to replicate.
The tank in the same pic haso sharper lines at the rear that other photos I have seen. The shape at the rear of tank in your pic resembles my orange tank.
Photos of some of the Godet machines, especially his IOM racer, has a seat similar to the old Egli style racer seat.
Does Godet sell any parts??

Jerry

Pictures are greatly appreciated !

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Glenn Shriver Egli.jpg

Glenn Shriver bought an aluminum Manx Sprint tank and had the tunnel redone to fit the spine.

Last edited by a moderator:

davidd

VOC Member
Godet usually does not sell parts, but it may be worth an email.

I agree on the Pieir tank in the photo, but that is Pieirs bike. I believe there were many slightly similar tanks made.

Here is Fritz Egli's personal bike, EV38:

PICT0657_2.jpg

Now in Australia with Luis Gallur.

David