Egli Rear Hub

ericg

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I'm desperately looking for a new rubber spider for EV3 Campagnolo cushion rear hub.
Anybody knows a source for a new one?
Where these hubs ever fitted to other machines as original equipment?

Thanks in advance.

Eric Gallardo

davidd

VOC Member
I would agree with Chris. Ducati would be the obvious choice. This is what mine looks like:

Egli Rear Hub EV4 PB_1.jpg

David

Pushrod Twin

VOC Member
Hey, Guys, I know that you are the long term owners of the real Egli machines & have the knowledge & experience, & I am only the builder of a mere replica, but I have to ask, are we confusing Campagnolo brakes with our Grimeca wheel hubs?
David, your wheel hub pics look a lot like my Grimeca wheel hub from a 650 Benelli Tornado, (but yours has a disc brake & a different sprocket carrier), which ties up with the Ducati hub parts. Maybe yours is the smaller, 450 Ducati/250Benelli size, hence the special sprocket carrier?
My Grimeca cush rubber is 180mm across, Eric, what size is yours?
My Grimeca hub now has an 860GT Ducati brake plate fitted which matches the Grimeca 4LS front drum.
IMGP3680.JPG
IMGP3682.JPG

davidd

VOC Member
Roy,

I can certainly see why it caught your eye. I know that Fritz did supply some Grimeca wheels. I got both Campagnolo and Grimeca front wheels with EV4. But both EV3 and EV4 came with Campagnolo wheels front and rear. I don't have a shot of it, but it is engraved int the center of the hub itself. It is also stamped on the disc:

Egli Rear Hub EV4 PB_14.jpg

And here is the Campagnolo brochure showing the front brake on the left and the rear hub with a cush drive on the right. They also made a rear hub with no cush drive:

Campagnolo brochure page 1.jpg

In comparing the photos of the spiders and hubs above I noticed that the Grimeca has five sections and the Campagnolo has six. So, the shapes are quite different. Egli only made a handful of matching number bikes so, there is more variation among the entire production than there are similarities.

David

Pushrod Twin

VOC Member
Roy,

I can certainly see why it caught your eye. I know that Fritz did supply some Grimeca wheels. I got both Campagnolo and Grimeca front wheels with EV4. But both EV3 and EV4 came with Campagnolo wheels front and rear. I don't have a shot of it, but it is engraved int the center of the hub itself. It is also stamped on the disc:

View attachment 12635

And here is the Campagnolo brochure showing the front brake on the left and the rear hub with a cush drive on the right. They also made a rear hub with no cush drive:

View attachment 12636

In comparing the photos of the spiders and hubs above I noticed that the Grimeca has five sections and the Campagnolo has six. So, the shapes are quite different. Egli only made a handful of matching number bikes so, there is more variation among the entire production than there are similarities.

David
True, thats pretty hard evidence!:) Duh! I should have counted:( & kept my mouth shut.
The Grimeca front I have is reputed to have come from the only Slater bike sold new here in UnZud in the '70's. It had a home made disc conversion attached to the Metal Profiles forks, maybe in the early '80's by the second owner? I have some pics. More recently it has been used for Classic Racing & the owner purchased a new repro Grimeca to make it eligible.

vibrac

VOC Member
While there were Grimica wheels (and I had some on my second Egli) When first available in UK the UK source Roger Slater left it wide open. I purchased a frame ,forks and front wheel and mostly made up the rest. It had a Vincent back wheel and an ill fated rubbish Robinson 4 leading shoe on the front