F: Frame Egli Damper Length

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I like the look of The Bike Tim, But that fuel pipe might give trouble ?.
Going in from the top won't it get air locks ?.

vibrac

VOC Member
The Banana tanks I have had are always a pain for the last litre I have considered putting another tap at the rear however the acceleration always keeps the fuel at the rear anyway (joke).
Its also difficult with a Mikuni since the intake pipe is a straight up pipe (I never thought I would envy a design feature of a monoblock!)

Otto

Forum User
VOC Member
I grabbed what I thought were the Egli Units when I rebuilt the Egli Comet (in 1000 frame) last winter but they were 12" (300mm) and were too short here is a picture with them on (and the line I drew at the time) I had to buy new ones! it doesnt look too bad but the chain could caress the SA pivot. One day I will get to get some shake down runs on it....
View attachment 33956
with standard silencer, 18" wheel and a damper longer than 320mm, the spindle nut can hit the silencer I heard. Do you use a standard silencer?

vibrac

VOC Member
Gold Star as I remember it sounds good . God knows when I will hear it again...
1586112128462.jpeg

Bill Cannon

VOC Member
My original Swiss Egli, EV23C is fitted with 300mm Girlings with 18" rim.
I think it looks a bit low and if I wanted to replace the units I would go about 325mm to sharpen the steering.
On your 19" rim 310-315 would be near the mark.

Cheers Bill

Pushrod Twin

VOC Member
I have just removed a pair of 13" 330mm, Hagons from mine because they were junk after 4000 miles & 18 months. I dont have a problem with the silencer, and it was moved backwards to get clearance for the kick starter.
Mine is a copy of a Slater frame. I see in Phillipe Guyony's book that the rear frame loop can be at different heights in relation to the backbone. That will directly impact on the shock length.

Attachments

• 20200408_070815_resized.jpg
    20200408_070815_resized.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 19

Pushrod Twin

VOC Member
After looking in the wrong places, as you do, I finally found a message I received from the late Phil French, dated March 93. It was his response to my question regarding shock & fork lengths. His answer to the shock length question was as follows;
"rear shock absorber length should be, scribe a line through the front spindle and swingarm pivot, then the rear axle spindle should be 7/8" below that line"

He does not state if the bike should be loaded or not. I just measured mine with a stringline in the position seen in the pic above with the wheels just touching the ground and the answer was nearly 2" so I expect the 7/8" figure would be with a rider on the saddle.