Egli Clutch -update

eyeguy

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi chaps , I posted here last week about the somewhat dysfunctional clutch on my 'new' Egli. Being Mossey built, no-one seems to know what's in it, least of all the new mob who've not yet got back to me(ho hum) but the consensus seems to be a V2. Now, the plates in said clutch are pretty much FUBAR'ed and I need a new set, still, what do you expect after 600 miles! Do any of you smart people know:
1) where I can order them from
2) How many there should be
3) Can I fit plates from another bike=ducati? springs to mind.

I also spoke to Russell at Vinparts who simply declared it's not one of his, so that's a dead end too, seemingly.

Gotta say chaps, much easier with the Scotts, am I now enjoying the 'vincent experience'?!

Any advice absorbed gratefully

A tutto gas

Paul

Comet Rider

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Clutch plates

Hi Paul,
From memory, you can fit Kawasaki Z1000 plates (prefered one are the Barnett carbon-kevlar plates):D

Neil

PS
Try evilbay

VinParts

Non-VOC Member
Clutch

"I also spoke to Russell at Vinparts who simply declared it's not one of his, so that's a dead end too, seemingly".

Paul, I think I said a bit more than that. Like having talked to someone that has one that it was not a Suzuki clutch. Also that it did not look like a V2.
I did also say that you had 2 choices for a fix and they were to buy a new clutch and to google Mossey and ask him.

Now off to sort out Mr Metcalfe and his little problem, his damper NOT his liking for trains:D

BlackLightning998

VOC Member
Russ - you've got loads of trains in Wales haven't you..

Russ,

I think they call little trains the tourist industry in Wales don't they!!

Cheers, look forward to chatting in the morning and getting my rapide back on the road again soon.

Love your service - Sunday evening at 10.30pm - cool, the bikes only 60 years old....

Stuart

"I also spoke to Russell at Vinparts who simply declared it's not one of his, so that's a dead end too, seemingly".

Paul, I think I said a bit more than that. Like having talked to someone that has one that it was not a Suzuki clutch. Also that it did not look like a V2.
I did also say that you had 2 choices for a fix and they were to buy a new clutch and to google Mossey and ask him.

Now off to sort out Mr Metcalfe and his little problem, his damper NOT his liking for trains:D

eyeguy

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
HI Neil

thanks for that. Might you know if it's a new Z1000 or the original old clunker from the seventies!

With kind regards

ATG

Paul

vincenttwin

VOC Member
paul
talk to Colin Jenner at Conways , it sounds like your clutch was draging and not disengaging with the clutch lever in and getting hot. My v2 was doing the same and the cure was to get colin to work wonders on the clutch arm cover and this give the clutch more lift thus stopping the dragging.
regards
Peter Allen

eyeguy

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
thanks Peter
I've spoken to him, well at least his colleague, and have e mailed the pictures. I'll report back!

A tutto gas

Paul

ps/Scotts running well!

eyeguy

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
update on the update

Well, I've ascertained it IS a Vee 2 clutch, confirmed by Len. Furthermore it does take Z1000 plates, however I spoke with Colin at Conways, at Peter's suggestion and he was most helpful. There is a clutch plate array and spring set that Godet has developed for this clutch and he's getting one of those for me. They(Conways) also plan to bring out a replacement cover to allow more clutch lift, another mod for the future.
It would seem that I'm getting somewhere at last, thanks to you guys and this excellent forum. Special un-thanks go to........well, that can wait!:cool:

A tutto gas

Paul

Vince Farrell

VOC Member
Vee 2 is a company in Perth, Western Australia. V3 is based in Melbourne and has no connection with the former. The clutches sold be the VOSC and Vinparts are sometimes referred to as 'Vee 2' by owners who don't know the background - they are very similar but not the same thing. I don't think Vee 2 make their clutches anymore, when they were imported to the UK the final price was very high.