Egli at the Bonhams Grand Palais auction

TouringGodet

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
David D.,

Can you tell us anything about the Egli that was recently sold at this Bonhams auction? It is EV7.

Last edited:

davidd

VOC Member
Steve,

I wrote this when it first came up:

"The Egli is an interesting bike. Assuming it is Peter Gerrish's bike, he was one of the early Egli proponents. The frame number is on the front top engine mount. I have never seen a frame number stamped there. The welding is not Egli, but it looks like Peter may have boxed in the mount and therefore added some welding. The frame was originally nickel plated. It is now black.

Peter supplied the engine, so it does not have an Egli engine number like most of the original ten bikes. He also used Picador heads, and there are some spare heads displayed.

It would be likely that Peter would have purchased an early bike, so it may be a good bike with a racing provenance."

I did not say any more at the time, but there are obviously a number of factors that affect value. The bike may have been modified too much to retain any valuable provenance from racing. I suspect the engine was not raced and the Picador items are missing. On the other hand, it was modified quite a bit for street use, which is a more popular use than racing, so it may have good value as a street bike.

Because there were only about ten bikes built by Egli, this is in a bunch of sought after machines. But, it was the only one sold as a kit and because of that it is difficult to say what is original. I see it sold for $61,400 (40,250 Pounds Sterling), which is a little low compared to some other private sales.

David

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Sorry for bringing up an old subject, I did see your earlier post but did not remember it being from this particular auction, despite it being clearly in the thread title.

The Bonhams site says it sold for 40K Euros, not sterling, so it was an even lower price, approx 54K US dollars, based on the exchange rate on that day.

vibrac

VOC Member
Bonhams site does not always reflect the selling price many deals are done after the sale
I love auctions