Egli and my memory

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Dam it Ive done it again !
Taking the Egli out of hibernation, I drained the sump (it was filled with new oil when I put it away) -not bad out came half a pint or so, then I did it again:eek: I put a funnel in the oil tank and happily poured it all in completely forgetting (again) that the route to the tank is at the bottom of the filling tube and is only about 3/8" diameter:mad: yes oil everywhere down the fins and engine.
Well thats finally cleared up now (Of course now the suns gone in and the clouds are gathering) but now I have lost a lovingly carved level stick that passed through the hole and measured the min and maximum oil level anyone know what the heights might be? otherwise I shall have to drain and remeasure :oops: (if I can find the notes on how much I should put in).

Normski

Non-VOC Member
Hi Tim, my notes say 1 1/2 litres is 41mm - 3litres is 69mm & 3 1/2 litres 80mm from bottom of tank. 3 1/2 litres is a bit too much though on my bike, tends to froth out a bit. At some point around 3 litres mine will start getting very slow to fill and start glugging - the level must then have cut off air getting out, its useful for gauging when it's near full enough.
(My bike would be best described as a Cheney Shadow 70)
I'd be interested to know if your Egli or anyone else's has an overflow/ breather pipe from the tank filler neck down through the oil tank and exiting at the back end of the oil tank like mine has - it's1/4" bore on mine.

vibrac

VOC Member
Thanks for that I need more oil in the tank! I have made a new dip stick.
Yes I have a small bore pipe I have routed it to the rear in true 60's style ( If I was going to track day it I would add a catch bottle) I cant see any discharge if there was I might add one of Bens PCV valves in the line I also have a 'supply loop' of transparent hose in front of the oil filler which is supposed to show the oil flow back to the tank, but I must say I have never remembered to look at it in motion as there are too many other things going on!

vibrac

VOC Member
That 'Breather' certainly works slowly filling the tank with a funnel and jug the proceedure is to fill the filler tube almost to the top then wait while it gluggs down. Stopping adding oil before the open breather is reached is an art in itself, I managed to just get a glulp into the open breather pipe inside the mouth of the filler tube, now an hour or so later it drips out of the end pipe at the rear. I ceased filling at about 2-1/2 litres
This Egli must be the only bike that takes longer to fill than it does to drain

Normski

Non-VOC Member
I extend the breather tube when filling with oil by pushing some plastic pipe on to it so I can pour more in - this probably means I just spend more time waiting for the level to glug down. Sometimes I am super efficient and fill the filler extension with oil and then do something else on the bike whilst waiting for it to flow into the tank but usually I daydream? I've routed the overflow to drip onto the chain.
Do you know where I can get a washer for where the Enots Monza cap screws onto the filler extension?