E: Engine Egli 500 Special

bmetcalf

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The cheap version is to have both valves closed, use the compression tester adapter screwed in and blow low pressure air in. Listen at the pipe for air passing the exh valve, carb for air past the inlet valve and an inspection cap for air past the rings.

Ben Langton

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Thanks all, very much appreciated.

So I'm going to drain the sump (seen the plug left side bottom Bill) see what comes out. I'll start it and take it for a run. I've proberbly only done 30 miles on it in the past 4 months or so. It doesn't get used..........yet!

Ben Langton

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Forgot to say, very interested to learn more in general about the bike. F106 tie, different gearbox mount, 600cc names. Please tell me what you see.
Thanks

Ben Langton

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
The only picture my wife managed to take while holding our sons (4 and 2) just before I went up the hill (pressed wrong button or something) went well at that point after starting and warmed up. I'll get it sorted with your kind help.
image.png

davidd

VOC Member
I did tell Ben about leak down tests in a PM because everybody else had heard it before.

Ben said that the other breathers are not operative. Just so Ben knows the first one that is the operative one is on the timing chest is the elephants trunk, the second one on the generator drive is blocked, the third on on the Ex valve cap is blocked and the fourth one, the stock one, is blocked on the primary side with a 1/2" X 20 brass bolt.
100_2752.jpg

The F106 is a cast aluminum triangular part that replaces the rear cylinder on the Comets. It is used to hold the top of the gearbox in place and to provide some support to the oil tank or upper frame member like the rear cylinder would. There is a large bolt in a 1/2" hole right above your gearbox on the frame where the top of the F106 would be bolted.

I have an F106 on a 600 engine that has a Norton gearbox, but it has the two legs that would mount to the gearbox cut of and is not mounted to the F106, but it is all mounted together.
100_1666.jpg

100_1658.jpg

David

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Morning Ben, What super place to live !, Nice photo, Reminds me of the Hill Climb in Wales, I did, On the Old Swansea Road, If you Didn't stop in time, You went down a Cliff !!, I won the Knockout once against a 900 Kwacker. You will always get some oil out of the sump, By now I would have thought the oil pump would have done it's job, And be OK. Cheers Bill.

davidd

VOC Member
Morning David, So is Ben's a proper Egli, Or a Maylem Type, Cheers Bill.

I did not ask Ben about the history. It seemed to me he was getting to know the whole bike.

I don't remember a transition model engine being used in an Egli Comet that I have seen before. I first thought it might have been Phil French's old bike. That came on Ebay about a year ago and it had no F106 also, but I did not recognize the gussets in the frame triangle and I believe all of the original Fritz Egli 500s had number plate mounts on the frame, but have no gussets between the tubes. Additionally, Phil's was not a transition model engine.

I thought I saw this bike before, but when I checked I found this:
06060040.jpg

I thought it might have been this bike with a different seat and tank. It is not, primarily because the frame has no gussets. But, what got me was the footrest plates. They are an unusual shape and almost identical to Ben's. What are the chances of something like that being identical?

So, my best guess now is Cyril or CGA built the frame. Maybe Ben can set me straight?

David

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I live near Cyril now, I have never met him, But spoke on the phone to him, It would have been good to know him 40/50 years ago, I thought about having one of his frames, But as you know I went for the cheaper way with the "D" frame, Which I am happy with, Still. Cheers Bill.

Ben Langton

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Evening all.
Well I removed the sump plug and this is what came out, I was surprised, it's a 2l bottle. The oil does have a wife (been 25 years since I smelled castrol R so not sure) it has a green tinge to the brown, not particles, very clean if the colour is good?
I checked the oil level, not run, on both wheels and level, dipped a wire down next to what I imagine is some kind of breather pipe? Touched the bottom of the tank, it read 1 1/2 inches like a dipstick.

I've also had another look at what I think is the oil pipe work on top the engine. One that comes down from the oil tank at the front, goes in at the front. One on the right side goes down the the bottom of right crankcase and that's it, Back of oil tank down to engine and that's it I think.

On anoth note that bike above is very similar David, where was it from? Neither of the names on the log book,can't quite make out reg in reflection. I have been playing "spot the difference" though. Forks look the same Cerriani? My top yoke would take those bars too. Is it a Cerriani brake too? Colour/metal plate different. Now the seat I removed sat the same, high at the back, and looks to be the same but slightly cut down. My exhaust is the same too, but now sprung held at the front. As you say, plates look the same too bar one hole on the peg plate. Steep down draft on carb. What have I missed? It's the closest. Bike I've see now never ver looked t loads of pictures. Clearly the gussets are on mine (what are they for? Could they have been added? I've seen picture of frames with straight pieces there but not full triangles (if you know what I mean?).
Now this is just my novice eye on similarities, please enlighten me.
Here are the pics.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg