Ebay Shock

A_HRD

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I'm clearly missing something here; but what was so special about the used KVF Magneto that just sold on ebay tonight (Item 321313482478) - for £775 ?!

Peter B
Bristol, UK.

Dinny

VOC Member
Ebay prices are all over the place. I bought a Miller horn button, original in box for £7 tonight. One sold a few weeks ago for £85!

I have noticed severa,l lets say strange bidding patterns lately.

Mark

Magnetoman

VOC Member
what was so special about the used KVF Magneto that just sold on ebay tonight (Item 321313482478) - for £775 ?!
Looking at the bid history, there were three people willing to pay at least £740 for it, all of whom have bought a fair number of items on eBay so they were experienced bidders. KVFs don't come up on eBay very often so if someone needed one to complete a project, and if they had been looking for quite some time, that easily could cause someone to bid a few hundred £ more than they "should."

After having unsuccessfully looked for over 20 years for a very low production gearbox I needed for a BSA I'm restoring one appeared on eBay a couple of years ago. There was no way I wasn't going to own that gearbox no matter what it cost. I won the auction for a significant, but not-horrendous, price. Two months later another such gearbox appeared on eBay. Although it was in much worse condition than the one I bought, 17 people bid up the price to 15% more than I had paid for mine. Having had the first one snatched out from under them (by me), no doubt a few of them realized their mistake and were determined to get the next one. KVFs aren't quite as rare as that gearbox, but ones not attac

Magnetoman

VOC Member
Hmm, when I uploaded my previous post I got an error message saying the VOC server had some issue and that I should notify the webmaster. I see that the last few words of my post disappeared as well. It should have ended with something like "... but ones not attached to engine are uncommon."

Magnetoman

VOC Member
Dear today cheap tomorrow ?
It's impossible to predict the future, but that's certainly the way it has been with old British motorcycles and spares for them for at least 40 years. Because of this, when I see something uncommon that I need I try to grab it even if the price is higher than I think it "should" be. I quickly forget the "excess" I paid and am always happy to have whatever it was that I paid too much for.

Magnetoman

VOC Member
Its like land on the sea front they are not making any more ?
They're certainly not making any more of the originals. I paid a fair price for a 150 mph Chronometric 20 years ago (the one I use as my avatar, in fact). It seemed like a lot of money at the time, but was an absolute bargain in retrospect.