Ebay Shock

Albervin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I think sometime panic comes into play on e-bay. If a person is unaware of the real rarity or otherwise of an object then they may bid

A_HRD

VOC Member
As a great Vincent friend of mine says regarding buying Vincent bits: "You can never pay too much, only too soon".

Peter B
Bristol, UK.

Albervin

VOC Member
So, referring back to your original post. Just how much too soon did they bid? There are a lot of new style BT-H magnetos on Vincents at the moment which means a lot of KVF magnetos on the shelves. I have more than one so will there be a glut on e-bay in the coming months? I for one will not be selling until the BT-H has proven itself for 15 years, and even then I will need a back-up unit.

Magnetoman

VOC Member
There are a lot of new style BT-H magnetos on Vincents at the moment which means a lot of KVF magnetos on the shelves... I for one will not be selling until the BT-H has proven itself for 15 years, and even then I will need a back-up unit.
It seems to me there are two types of people who own hard-to-find parts: those who don't know/remember they have them in boxes in their garages, and those who have no intention of selling them because they might need them some day. This is why items like KVF magnetos, Black Shadow carburetors, etc. are so hard to find.

Personally, I'm a combination of both types of people. But, I don't plan on selling even the rare parts I do remember owning and that I am 100% sure I will never need. Because I might need them some day...

vibrac

VOC Member
Yes I know I have a rare Vincent part on my desk by the PC now .Its been there for 2 weeks I shall never use it (and the little voice says "you might") I will screw up courage, I will.:rolleyes:

silver47

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I'm clearly missing something here; but what was so special about the used KVF Magneto that just sold on ebay tonight (Item 321313482478) - for £775 ?!

Peter B
Bristol, UK.

Hi Peter
One man's shock is another man's pleasant surprise, I have to admit it was me who sold this magneto after seeing one sell for a similar amount the previous week, I assumed that there were at least two people who desperately wanted one, I had a very nice surplus unmolested magneto that I was prepared to take a gamble on, as I did not have a reserve on it. This magneto went to an established overseas dealer, does he know something we don't? I would suggest that if youre having your magneto rewound keep your old rating label.

Regards Ben

Magnetoman

VOC Member
I would suggest that if youre having your magneto rewound keep your old rating label.
Unfortunately, this may be out of someone's control. What got me deeply immersed in magnetos myself was many years ago sending a "highly recommended" magneto repairman my Gold Star's and Vincent's magnetos. I gave him explicit instructions not to bead blast the cases, and to leave the original tags on them. They came back bead blasted and with new tags he had stamped himself, along with faulty replacement condensers. When I called him to discuss these matters he told me he remembered what I had told him but in his opinion they looked better the way he had rebuilt them.

The lesson learned: if I wanted something done the way I wanted it done (in this case, a magneto that looked the way I wanted it to look, and that actually functioned after having been "rebuilt"), I had no choice but to do it myself.

Jim Richardson

VOC Member
Hi Peter
One man's shock is another man's pleasant surprise, I have to admit it was me who sold this magneto after seeing one sell for a similar amount the previous week, I assumed that there were at least two people who desperately wanted one, I had a very nice surplus unmolested magneto that I was prepared to take a gamble on, as I did not have a reserve on it. This magneto went to an established overseas dealer, does he know something we don't? I would suggest that if youre having your magneto rewound keep your old rating label.

Regards Ben
I see, from your Avitar, that you also have a Scintilla, my rap came with one that lasted a few years before expiring, had it rebuilt but it only lasted 6 months before oil got into it. I am running coil at the moment, but the intention is to get the scintilla going again. I have a manual for it if you need a copy.