• Welcome to the website of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club.

Should you have any questions relating to the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club, or Vincent H.R.D. motorcycles in general, please contact Graham Smith, Hon. Editor and Webmaster by calling 07977 001 025 or please CLICK HERE.

You are unrecognised, and therefore, only have VERY restricted access to the many features of this website.

If you have previously registered to use this forum, you should log in now. CLICK HERE.

If you have never registered to use this website before, please CLICK HERE.

Ebay scam 13-01-19

Lambers

Well Known and Active Website User
VOC Member
They're back on again. Multiple vehicles and inviting you to go outside of Ebay to speak via email to the owner who doesn't have access to ebay.
Item 264135995782 - Grey Flash

Attachments

Graham Smith

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Just heard from the seller and it’s still for sale.

Unfortunately, it’s located on the Isle of Lewis.

What are the chances of that?!

peter holmes

VOC Member

I played around with one of these guys a while ago, I replied "Great, I am due to come up there next week for a holiday, could I take a look then and if I like it, pay for it and take it away" that was for a Comet engine and gearbox for cheap money, surprisingly I did not receive a reply.

vibrac

VOC Member
eBay is the place to buy secondhand bits and pieces privately not motorcycles and as for new Vincent parts they are not all from reputable sources and even though their prices look good there is a reason for that and the way the VAT and Revenue are turning their attention to those sellers they may not be there to complain to if or when the part fails.

peter holmes

VOC Member

NEWSFLASH, The seller has just relocated to St Kilda, but don't worry, it is still possible to purchase the bike, couldn't be any easier, just deposit X amount of thousands of pounds into his account and he will stick it on a pallet and despatch the same day, lets not all be so cynical, he might be a perfectly honest chap, might even give you a no holds barred 10 year guarantee!

Graham Smith

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
I've had a reply!

Hi again, Unfortunately I do not reside in the UK. My father used to live in Stornoway, Isle of Lewis. My mother is Italian and we both live in Italy and Stornoway, Scotland is to far away to arrange viewing for each offer we receive. I suggest going through eBay for your peace of mind. As payment method we will use Adyen which gives you 7 days inspection period on all items for high amount payments before Adyen.com pays the seller (similar to escrow service and more secure than PayPal). eBay is to replace PayPal with Adyen as its payment system a leading global payments processor, to become its primary payments processing partner.

See here: https://support.adyen.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000586390-Information-for-eBay-users

Regarding delivery someone will transport it safely to your location.

This purchase protection guarantees that the bike is exactly as described; basically, once delivered, you'll have 7 days to inspect it and if you decide not to keep it you will get refunded in no time and they will charge me with the return costs. I will get paid only after you confirm that you have received the bike in good order.

Let me know if you want to go ahead as I still have quite a few more offers from potential buyers. If you want to go ahead please email me your full name and address along with your daily contact number to get this purchase registered with eBay and Adyen's secure Escrow service. Find several photos attached.

Kind Regards,
Jose Pecora

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
Evil-Bay isn't going to replace Pay-Pal with Adyen. Evil-Bay will not push Pay-Pal to the front as it currently does, it will begin to allow credit and debit card use in the not to distant future, when the current contract with Pay-Pal runs out in 2020. So to say Pay-Pal will be replaced is a bit disingenuous. I would think Adyen, which is a payment platform on the same lines as Pay-Pal will just be another option.
But that's just my thinking based on what I've read.
What I find amusing about this is the idea that someone would try sell anything and claim they are too far away to show it to potential buyers. It kind of annoys me really. You, the seller, want my money. I, the buyer, want what you have. I want to see it first, before I part with my hard earned cash. If the item in question is to far away from you to show it to me, make arrangements for someone to show it to me. Can't do that, move it closer to you. Not enough potential buyers, near you? Move closer to the item. Don't want to do that? Screw it, I guess you really don't want to sell it. You've got to meet people half way. That's what makes me think these kind of situations are scams. I think most legitimate sellers make some kind of arrangement to show the item.
Incidentally "Pecora" infraorder of even-toed hoofed mammals with ruminant digestion. Most members of Pecora have cranial appendages projecting from their frontal bones; a.k.a. sheep, goats, cows.
Steven

peter holmes

VOC Member
That is Brian East's old Grey Comet known in the section as the Grey Vomit.
If the bike that purports to be for sale did in fact once belong to Brian East, do we actually know where that bike is now, I think it most unlikely that it is currently on the Isle of Lewis, the scam is following such a well trodden path, great value, inconvenient location, can only deal with sale at arms length for various spurious reasons, I would not be tempted to part with a farthing, if we still used them. When these bogus adverts appear on eBay I normally clic on other items for sale, they are normally listing a swathe of two and four wheel bargains, but always directing enquiries elsewhere as they are unable for various highly suspicious reasons to deal with the sale themselves. By all means have a bit of fun with these scammers if you can spare the time, but on no account give them any of your money. Ron Thomas was trying to help an overseas member that has parted with a considerable sum of money for a set Brampton forks, same type of scam, send me the money and I will send you the forks, only they didn't. You have been warned.

TouringComet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
Almost makes the auction house fees easier to digest, or alternatively, is choosing between these two methods another case of the lesser of two evils?

Lambers

VOC Member
All the scams rely on one thing, the weakness of the human mind. The thought of a bargain and your desire makes your brain do silly things.
Without doubt the best way of buying is by viewing the bike and speaking to the seller face to face, photographing all the numbers and getting them checked out.
The best way of selling or buying, if you don't want the hassle, is through the VOC Spares shop.
A straight fee I believe and of course a great place for everyone to see it.
Jon