FT: Frame (Twin) Early Twin Clutch

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Do you have access to a pneumatic hammer drill? They are quite cheap these days if bought from Lidl or similar. The socket spanner will have to be a slim one.

Rob H

VOC Member
Yes tried a hammer drill thought that would free it but the whole C4 bolt was turning

timetraveller

VOC Member
I am not sure if the very early ones are the same as the later ones but if they are then the hexagon at the rear of the shoe carrier is let into the shoe carrier itself. That is supposed to stop it turning. You could try tack welding them in place, being careful not to melt the shoes themselves and try again. Alternatively you could accept that the pins are scrap and either drill the heads off from the rear or try to grind the screwed ring off the front. With luck and care you should be able to do either of these without damaging the shoes themselves. At the time of writing this the web shop is not available but I think the pins and screws are available from them.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
You could try a small cutting disc to carefully cut axially down the nut without reaching the threads. With one flat greatly reduced the thinned flat will split open when you apply a spanner. You can then inspect the threads and decide whether to clean them up or replace the posts.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Rob, on my early clutch I struggled as well to get them undone and had to grind through one. The sleeve nuts were worn and so not useable and those type of early nuts are no longer available. I just replaced it with the more common later type which VOC Spares sell and that type with the circlip are so much easier to use so you can see why the factory changed the design. It is possible to make the bits yourself and if you do then the bolt has to be high tensile.
Simon

Rob H

VOC Member
You could try a small cutting disc to carefully cut axially down the nut without reaching the threads. With one flat greatly reduced the thinned flat will split open when you apply a spanner. You can then inspect the threads and decide whether to clean them up or replace the posts.

That was the plan, would probably end up replacing these with the later type anyway,

Thanks all.

Rob H

VOC Member
I don't have C6 washers for #323 and need to know the dimensions of these C6 washer to assess whether I need them.

Anyone have such information on C6 washers please?

View attachment 25592

Removed successfully with the cutting disc.
Can't guarantee that it is original but the washers seem more like a thin shim to me which would seem to make sense.