Early Series B Footrest Rubbers

passenger0_0

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Can anyone please advise me of the correct number of the John Bull footrest rubbers used on early series B Rapides? I have looked on the factory build sheet for my bike but this is unfortunately not specified. Would it be the same as pre-war HRDs? Thanks David.

craig

VOC Member
Hi David, What are you referencing for these rubber pegs? Where do you find them on series A?
footrest-rubber-johnbull-5_MED.jpg

What rubbers are you planning to put on the kick start and shift lever?

Last edited:

passenger0_0

Non-VOC Member
Hi Craig, With my question I am trying to find out the correct type of John Bull footrest rubber for the first few Series B Rapide which apparently were fitted with these prior to the typical HRD/Vincent ones being produced. Were they John Bull number 5, number 1 or some other variant? An early works post war photo that you've posted on thevincent.com demonstrates such a machine.

Unfortunately I don't own or have any information relating to the Series A bikes so cannot answer your question asking where they are found.

From my understanding, the early series B bikes did not have a kick start rubber. If anyone could also advise us on the appropriate gear lever rubber it would be much appreciated. Thanks David

craig

VOC Member
Hi David, Yes the photos i have found show John Bull type foot pegs (round with large end caps)on all pre war Vincent and the first 50 or so B Rapides. You are correct that no kick start rubber is shown with these first few as well, just a dogbone plain swing out lever. I see restored series A with HRD foot rubbers, OMG!
Anyone have historical Vincent photos or lit that wil shed light on this?
Is there a John Bull motorcycle rubber catalog posted on line?
Early B owners need your help.
I wondered about the bore on repro John Bull fitting the Vincent steel pegs.

A-BCD

Non-VOC Member
. I see restored series A with HRD foot rubbers, OMG!

well. rather a Series A or B with incorrect bits and bobs being ridden, than a 100% correct model sitting in a museum or being trailered to shows !! :)

passenger0_0

Non-VOC Member
To quote Neil Young "better to burn out than to fade away.....".

Now that my footpeg rubbers are worn through to the steel shafts I thought why not make it more original?

Coming back to my original posting - can anyone advise if they were number 1 or number 5 John Bull on the early Series B? Thanks David

craig

VOC Member
So John Bull No5 it is !
How many of the early B Rapides were fitted with such Bull? 25? 50? 100?
100_7150.jpg

Last edited:

craig

VOC Member
28 sounds like a reasonable number to have been fitted with Bull pegs. How did you determine this fact? Certainly Vincent motorcycle information is important. Thanks for participating. Craig

28, Why do you ask ? Is it important ?. I expect most if not all have perished by now. Henry Martini