Early Series 'A' Tappets

Stanley Chappell

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Cry for help I have really hit the buffers on a couple of parts to complete my 1936 meteor I need 2 e44 pushrod adjusting tappet and 2 push rod
pins early type .I have tried Conway ,maughns,neal videan, without success.I know I can get later type but should rather build the engine back
as standard.can any one point me in the right direction.many thanks stan

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Stan
Here are the factory drawings for the early pushrod and adjuster cup, so you just need to find somebody who can make some for you, unless you have that capability yourself.
I think I got the copies of these drawings from Bob Stafford nearly 15 years ago.

Attachments

• Pushrod cup (early).JPG
    Pushrod cup (early).JPG
    502.7 KB · Views: 59
  • Pushrod (early).JPG
    Pushrod (early).JPG
    642.4 KB · Views: 54

Robert Watson

VOC Member
I had some when I rebuilt my A's a few years ago. I used the newer style ones and sent the rest to Glyn Baxter, maybe try him?

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Stanley my handsome, I may have one or two left over as I have both sorts in my Rap but are unfortunately all bikes are outside under cover with layers of plastic over as it's blowing a hell of a gale down hear at the moment as we are about to rip off the corrugated plastic and fit poly-carbonate sheeting along the back passage where the bikes were kept. I was carrying one of each while my brother & I were doing our world trip and still in the pannier. I expect to have the job finished in a week or so, will send a pair onto you as I can make another out of silver steel so they can be hardened.
bananaman.

Stanley Chappell

VOC Member
Stanley my handsome, I may have one or two left over as I have both sorts in my Rap but are unfortunately all bikes are outside under cover with layers of plastic over as it's blowing a hell of a gale down hear at the moment as we are about to rip off the corrugated plastic and fit poly-carbonate sheeting along the back passage where the bikes were kept. I was carrying one of each while my brother & I were doing our world trip and still in the pannier. I expect to have the job finished in a week or so, will send a pair onto you as I can make another out of silver steel so they can be hardened.
bananaman.
Marcus old buttock that’s the same as my handsome if you live here in deepest gloustershire.if you could help with with the tappet parts that should be marvellous i
realy am struggling to find said items just let me know how much I owe you and I will pay you post haste many thanks

stan Chappell farmer boy

Stanley Chappell

VOC Member
Stan
Here are the factory drawings for the early pushrod and adjuster cup, so you just need to find somebody who can make some for you, unless you have that capability yourself.
I think I got the copies of these drawings from Bob Stafford nearly 15 years ago.
Simon
many thanks for your drawings great help i know I’m pushing my luck but do you
have a drawing of the rocker pin . The drawing of push rod cup says material is cast
steel I don’t have a clue what this is any ideals. Got the comet well on the way
just electrics ,cables and paint the tank which do my self any ideals on what
the gold lines where origis ally gold leaf or gold paint
all the best
Stan chappell

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Simon
many thanks for your drawings great help i know I’m pushing my luck but do you
have a drawing of the rocker pin . The drawing of push rod cup says material is cast
steel I don’t have a clue what this is any ideals. Got the comet well on the way
just electrics ,cables and paint the tank which do my self any ideals on what
the gold lines where origis ally gold leaf or gold paint
all the best
Stan chappell
Hi Stan
Sorry I don't have a drawing for the rocker pin.
As for gold lines on series A, I suspect they were just gold paint but somebody else may have more knowedge about that.

Simon

Robert Watson

VOC Member
I have some old and new rocker pins. New ones about to be used, but I think there is one old one in the "bin" I could make a sketch/drawing if you wanted to make one but I'm not 100% on the material but pretty sure it is hardened and ground on the bearing surface. PS The new ones came from Conways a couple of weeks ago............

Robert Watson

VOC Member
I just had a look. Only one used rocker pin. It is .499 through the bushing, not worn here as it does not have any rotation around it, and where the rocker runs .496 - .498. New ones are .500. Also this one has an undercut by the head. The Conway's ones did not with the result the the grinding wheel could not grind the last little bit to .500 and as the pin tightened it jammed in the bushing and clamped the bushing firm against the rocker so that it could not rock. Some scraping in the bushings was required to sort this out.

delboy

VOC Member
I just had a look. Only one used rocker pin. It is .499 through the bushing, not worn here as it does not have any rotation around it, and where the rocker runs .496 - .498. New ones are .500. Also this one has an undercut by the head. The Conway's ones did not with the result the the grinding wheel could not grind the last little bit to .500 and as the pin tightened it jammed in the bushing and clamped the bushing firm against the rocker so that it could not rock. Some scraping in the bushings was required to sort this out.
Hello folks,
Stan, I think "Cast steel" is actually silver steel. I have a note from Bob Stafford somewhere when I made a pushrod end for myself.
The rocker bush E26 is 0.500" reamed, so the the rocker pin should be at most 0.499" to run in it. I seem to recall this just takes the peaks off the 1/2 BSF thread?
Then again, my memor.......
Cheers, delboy.