FT: Frame (Twin) Early Rapide Research: 1947

craig

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Research has found that the #3 flat copper paddle is designed to power the center terminal of a small parking bulb, not used on a "B" Rapide Miller headlamp. This copper paddle becomes "hot" when the switch is selected to "L". Seems to be a pre war design....might be used on a "A" Rapide?

I saw this A/B Miller head lamp on Ebay and wondered if the switch ammeter were correct.
I numbered some items for explanation.
I have never seen a flat copper, exposed connection (1) before.
What is the purpose of (2) rheostat? resistor?
what is the purpose of (3) big flat copper tab?

View attachment 19692

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Research has found that the #3 flat copper paddle is designed to power the center terminal of a small parking bulb, not used on a "B" Rapide Miller headlamp. This copper paddle becomes "hot" when the switch is selected to "L". Seems to be a pre war design....might be used on a "A" Rapide?
All the series A Rapide's had fully Lucas electrics including Lucas switches magneto and lights. The series A Comets and Meteors used BTH electrics inc BTH lights & Magneto up to late 1935 and then switched to a Miller electrical gear and lights. There was a few in early 1937 that used a combination of BTH magneto and Miller lights & switches.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I have been reading my early Riders Handbook and taking notice of some of the changed details throughout the handbook from the more common later editions.
Here is the text in the electrical equipment I would like help with please.
Where is this "Miller" Instruction book?
At what build was the dip moved to the left?
At what build was the stop light switch wire moved from the battery+?

ELECTRICAL EQUIPMENT-LIGHTING SYSTEM
Lighting System

This is quite independent of the ignition circuit, so that, if required, the dynamo can be either disconnected or removed when entering sporting events. The 6-volt, 50-watt dynamo is voltage controlled by an external regulator, whose function is to limit the generator output to avoid overcharging the battery on long runs and to permit the dynamo to charge at maximum rate should the battery be flat. Consequently, the ammeter which is situated on the headlamp is likely to show somewhat inconsistent readings, as these depend more on the state of the battery than anything else. With a fully-charged battery the ammeter should read between 2 amps. and 4 amps. charge, but this may rise to 8 amps if the battery is flat. Although there is an "Off" position shown on the switch, this is actually inoperative, and the ammeter will still show "Charge". For more detailed information and wiring diagram see "Miller" Instruction Book.
The headlamp switch controls the taillight, speedo light, pilot bulb and the twin-filament main bulb. The main beam is dipped or raised by the dipper switch on handlebars, which is normally fitted on the right, but can be changed over if desired. The tail light wire is fitted with a screwed connector covered,with a rubber sheath, adjacent to the battery to facilitate disconnection when removing the upper frame member.
The horn and stop-light circuits are separate from the main circuit, and their current consumption does not register on the ammeter. The positive horn lead goes from the battery + terminal direct to the horn, from which an earth wire runs to the push button on bars; this earth wire is fitted with a connector of a different pattern from the tail light wire to obviate incorrect coupling-up, which would shortcircuit the battery to earth.
The stop-light wire in early models is also connected to the battery + terminal, but later was taken off the + horn terminal. In either case the wire then goes to the stop-light switch and thence to the stop light. The stop light should be set by moving the spring anchorage along the brake rod so that the light comes on slightly before the brakes do. Occasionally it may be necessary to swivel the anchorage round the rod, as the angle at which the spring is pulling affects the action of the switch contacts.
I have either read somewhere or been told sometime in the past that the early series B factory handbook & instruction sheets were written before the prototype series B was built. So don't assume the early handbook is correct.

craig

VOC Member
I have either read somewhere or been told sometime in the past that the early series B factory handbook & instruction sheets were written before the prototype series B was built. So don't assume the early handbook is correct.
The riders handbook I am referencing/researching/quoting discusses the replacement of 3 1/2" dynamo with 3" dynamo....so probably issued mid/late 1948?

stevee

VOC Member
Where is this "Miller" Instruction book?
". For more detailed information and wiring diagram see "Miller" Instruction Book.

Have you tried the:
Miller Maintenance and Instruction Manual 1939
Miller Spare parts List 1939
Miller 1954 Spare Parts List etc.?
They are all Bruce-Main Smith & Co productions available from the National Motorcycle Museum http://www.nationalmotorcyclemuseum...uce-main-smith-bms-motorcycle-manuals/miller/

craig

VOC Member
Thanks Stevee, I have two of those books, plus it seems maybe a dozen other Miller manuals, but I looked over National Motorcycle Museum list and decided I needed even more.

Have you ever run across a reference to Vincent Miller equipment and the Miller wire diagram for Vincent was listed as 1001?
Here is a 1001 from my 1937/8 Miller booklet.
Is there an up dated version issued at a later date?
WireHarness1935-1001.jpg

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Craig
That's an interesting wiring diagram as series A's with Miller mag/dyno were the 3 brush type which didn't use a regulator. Vincent Motor Cycles by Paul Richardson on pg 169-170 says as such, except he also says that two brush dynamos with a regulator were sometimes fitted to special order. I have never come across such a setup on a series A.
The Miller diagram 1001 is dated October 1935. Vincent were still using BTH mag-dyno's then so the diagram may have been intended initially for a different customer.

Simon

craig

VOC Member
Here is my reference to 1001 from a 1961 Miller catalog.
Yes, it seems to me to have been a generic wire dwg.
I cant find another Vincent specific parts listing by Miller.
This list is updated with 38ET, 43E......, but S77 is incorrect.

I cant find documents on 78E or 84ECV, (ref 1001) I would like to see Miller listing of either.
I have 84CV. documents.

Miller1961edit1.jpg

Last edited:

craig

VOC Member
I found another period photo of a Feridax windscreen.
theracingvincent website.
Looks to be Comet and sidecar.

I realize this windscreen may not be a beauty addition to a Vincent, but it is very practical.
My question is --- is this the Vincent factory optional windscreen?

LBN0021.jpg

Somer

VOC Member
I don't think they were exclusively Vincent. I've seen them on other bikes of the period.