FT: Frame (Twin) Early Rapide Research: 1947

greg brillus

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Possible you have the wrong balance beam. The earlier ones the arms bend backward from the center pivot, then the ends are bent forward, like the letter "W" when viewed from above.

Shane998

Non-VOC Member
Possible you have the wrong balance beam. The earlier ones the arms bend backward from the center pivot, then the ends are bent forward, like the letter "W" when viewed from above.
Straight edge on rear arms of my balance beam shows 1mm gap in middle but boss 1/12 mm so I would think the backward bend you mention would be more That most likely explanation I had borrowed another balance beam but it was same as mine I'll now try and find one with the W shape Thanks Greg

Shane998

Non-VOC Member
I have a b with the ends bending forward but maybe it's not bending back from the pivot boss as Greg described . Next week I'm getting a loan of another one to try which sounds ok so I'll try that and see

Somer

VOC Member
Great pics of your b Rapide I'm putting one together now so very helpful reference Right now I'm having difficulty with front guard brackets FT237 if I put one behind and one in front of girder mounting lug as shown in M030 the brake balance beam won't fit as no clearance of girder tubes I was planning of fitting both FT 237 behind lug so balance beam fits I'm interested how they are mounted on your very original B Any advice from others also very welcome
The Fender stays are different lengths.

craig

VOC Member
You might refer to Mikes Indian parts , here is a B balance from Mike.
Mikes Vincent Parts

F55B-repo-2.jpg

here is a C balance.
F55C-2.jpg

I think they are facing each other with these photos, but you get the idea.
These are new.......somebody post top photo of a OEM B balance beam please.
Cheers
Craig

Last edited:

Robert Watson

VOC Member
Interesting. What was the date of manufacture? Were the screws enameled from the works ?
I moved it along about a year ago and sent all the paperwork with it but as far as I could tell very little had been changed on the bike. I bought it from the original owner with around 22k miles on it. I do remember it was built in 1948, but don't recall the specific date.

Shane998

Non-VOC Member
You might refer to Mikes Indian parts , here is a B balance from Mike.
Mikes Vincent Parts

F55B-repo-2.jpg

here is a C balance.
F55C-2.jpg

I think they are facing each other with these photos, but you get the idea.
Yes I have B balance not C but thanks for pic as it does seem to show more of a bend backward from the pivot boss than the ones I have