FT: Frame (Twin) Early Rapide Research: 1947

craig

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The Motor Cycle magazine May 29, 1947
Is the engine number known on the Rapide tested in this issue of The Motor Cycle? Specifically the left and right side photos.
No water excluders, horizontal rear stand mount, Miller 42E, and simply the date will make this fairly low number Rapide.
Can anyone supply the engine numbers of any period photos (1947) of 47 B Rapides?
UK magazines, Australian mags, USA mags, German, Swedish, Italian, Spanish, etc?
Thanks
Craig
May29_1947TheMotorCycleSmall.jpg

craig

VOC Member
Were the HRD tank top decals used on the steering head of early Rapides? I see most restorations have this steering head decal, but were they originally placed there?
HRDTankTopDecal.jpg

craig

VOC Member
There is a series of well known factory photos that appear to be taken at the same date in 1947. I am unsure of the number of photos that relate to this date, but it looks like early 1947. Is this date known? here is one of the series, and is there a web location for hi-res copies of these for all?
Factory7.jpg

Last edited:

craig

VOC Member
The early B Rapides do not appear to have a needle valve to control rear chain oil. Is this correct?
If so, it looks like this was added at UFM R3800............so about 1800 Vincents were built before this chain drip needle was added.

Last edited:

Albervin

VOC Member
I understand all Series Bs UFMs had no needle valve control. Along with the frame number this is what differentiates a B from a C.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Also no slot in the middle of the spring box pivot at the rear of the upper frame as no rear shocker was fitted...

John Appleton

VOC Member
I have a march 1949, all matching B which has the slot for rear damper and the needle valve for the chain oiler. I have owned it since 1962, and I have not modified it in these areas.

Ken Tidswell

VOC Member
I have such an oil tank, I tried to swop it for a later version but the owner only wanted the numbered headstock.Which i bought separately it is now slotted for a
bitsa Comet I am slowly assembling, the steel plate from which it is constucted looks like the bark off a tree. I have also blocked off the rear of the tank so the oil feed cannot coat me or the bike with oil when on the move. The oil return pipe terminates in what looks like two small brazed bosses inside the tank. It took along time to get the carbon, aluminium powder,and magnetic materials out of the tank. I have a litre bottle of thinners which is still discoloured a deep red , which refuses to settle. . Ken