Early Norvins

RedRyder

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Anybody know when a Norvin was first introduced? (Year). If not, let's hear from those who know of early ones and see what's the earliest. There was at least one built here in Texas in 1962, but I would like to hear of earlier ones. I'll probably hear from someone that there was a book published on this, but I'm itching for an answer and not ashamed to admit I don't already know everything. Cheers,

Bev Bowen

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
Cus I think you will find John Surtees made the first Norvin in 1951 he was loaned a feather bed frame by Eric Oliver the Norton sidecar world champion he was going to race it but did not came to pass after a few months it was pulled down frame returned to Eric and vincent engine given back to Dad Surtees

A-BCD

Non-VOC Member
This one was built in 1956, it's featured here in The April 1957 issue of Motor Cycling
1957Norvin.jpg

ET43

Non-VOC Member
I have a sneaking feeling that I read somewhere that Geoff Duke visited Australia around 1953 and saw a Norvin there. Upon returning home it is rumoured that he mentioned it to John Surtees who then produced his model later that year or very soon after. Does the Norvin S/O frequent these pages? The question of Norvins has always provoked, I hope, friendly argument. Cheers, ET43

A-BCD

Non-VOC Member
I'm sure the earlier Australian one was called The McCrae Special, it was a racer, there was a picture in The Motor Cycle but I can't find it !!

A-BCD

Non-VOC Member
Here's another view - I did send these pictures to the Norvin Section last year.
NORVIN19672.jpg

Shanghai

VOC Member
Bruce Main Smith states, "the first road road racing Featherbed framed Vincent twin was made in 1957 by Tom Craigg, (one earlier, but a roadster, was built by Lawton and Wilson for Peter Walsh)"