Early meteor oil feed

roy the mechanic

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I am currently commisioning an early single. The oil feed to the top-end is as dry as a bone. I guess the question is where is it fed from?. I say early as the feed in question is single with a bifurcated pipe affair. Roy.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Roy
Its been a while since I built my A and mine has the later seperate rocker pipes arangment coming out of the top of the timing area but the basics are the same. If I'm wrong I'm sure somebody will correct me.

The oil feed in question is internal and comes from the top / back of the pump. The oil goes through a metering grubscrew in the back of the pump and into a drilling in the timing side crankcase which goes upwards and past the camshaft bushes lubricating these on its way. It comes out of the top of the crankcases and into the cam box into which the single or twin roacker pipes screw into. On the twin pipe arangment there is a adjustable metering screw which has a taper but to adjust with a screwdriver you need to remove the pipe from the fitting and look into the fitting screwed into the cambox. I don't know what the single pipe fitting is like though.

Possible blockage problem may be the gasket between the back of the oil pump and the crankcase has no hole for the oil to pass through or maybe the metering grubscrew OP22 in the back of the pump is blocked. The cam box on top of the timing side crankcase doesn't have a gasket, just a thin smear of your favourite gasket goo so over use of that could have blocked the oilway. Finally the metering adjuster if fitted to the single pipe system may be fully shut. On my A these are only just cracked open otherwise I get too much oil to the rockers.

Are you getting oil pressure elsewhere, ie slacken the screw off in the middile of the big end oil quill?

Simon

roy the mechanic

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Compared with the oil return on my C twin there is loads of oil returning to the tank, so I figure it must be going somewhere. Have spotted the screw and locknut on the pump, maybe , remove them and a gentle squirt of compressed air to see if passageway is clear. Thanks, Roy.