Early/later RFM

Chris Launders

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Straightening the RFM would not be a problem if I knew what to straighten it to !! I can make a temrorary jig easily enough (miller bed)
Are the axle plates symetrical in relation to the pivot bearing or offset to one side ?
Chris.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I wish you would not use these words !! Symetrical ! I looked it up and still don't understand !, If you click on the photo to make it bigger, You can see the inner edge of the rulers are inline with the outer pivot casting, If you know the width of the wheel with brake plates etc, That helps, I make that about 8 1/2 ", Looking at the photo, on the left side it's about 1 3/16 " in from the inside of the rear lug, Where the wheel hub would touch, and about 3/4 " in from the right, I was lucky, I had just taken the rear frame off my L/ning rep', To use as a guide, Cheers Bill.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
What I mean is if we start with the pivot bearing as a reference are the axle plates the same distance out from this, each side, or further to one side than the other,
In your picture the left plate is further out than the right, on the one my friend has the left plate is in line with the bearing housing and the right is much further over. I'm probably going over to his place tomorrow so will check the measurements then and try and get a good photo.
Chris.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Chris, Sorry I find it not easy to put things into words, I think No, Unless my frame is Way out !! Think how fast I would have been !!. This frame was on the L/ning at one time !!.I think it was all about balance of the bike, Putting the engine over to one side ? But that's a guess !. I bet they had fun building the first Twin. With the U.F.M. With, I think it was 1/2" offset on the cylinder head fixing. . Sounds like your frame was hit by the same thing as the one I straightened !. I think the two tubes going back are at a different angle, But slight !. This is what I ment, Even a good one looks wrong !!, But that bent one I bought was screeming at me !, But I had to have it. Good Luck, Bill.

clevtrev

VOC Member
Straightening the RFM would not be a problem if I knew what to straighten it to !! I can make a temrorary jig easily enough (miller bed)
Are the axle plates symetrical in relation to the pivot bearing or offset to one side ?
Chris.
You do not require dimensions, all you need to do, is get the chainline right.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Good thinking trev, But I thought I read somewhere, The chainline is a bit off on a Twin, I think I am going round the twist !! Cheers Bill.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
Had the g/box end off my twin which allowed me to set up a straight edge and compare my RFM with the early one, both the same so unless they are both bent it is ok.
Chris.