Misc: Everything Else Early (B?) vs. late (C?) kickstart levers

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Simon, I might have to question that statement.

The Touring Rap in the picture is /21XX. I had the k/s rechromed and when I went to fit it the chrome came off in large sheets. I sent it back telling them my fault as I had not mentioned it was likely SS, which requires different strikes before the chrome. They confirmed it was SS and redid it (no charge, which was more than fair) We know the Original Owner rode that to Uni in the late late 40's/ early 50's and then moved to a pretty remote small town. It was crashed about 1961 and stored in this same remote town until his passing about 9-10 years ago when the grandson acquired it. I can see no evidence that it somehow got fitted with an earlier k/s anywhere in its life, but I have been known to be wrong before!
Robert

I would have expect by 1/21xx that the standard kickstart in use was the later type but I don't think there is any exact rule with respect to kickstart types fitted to bikes. The factory was known to have used old stock of parts up when money was tight and never wastwed anything so it could be possible that an early stainless kickstart be fitted to a later bike.

There definitely does appear to have been some of the dog leg type that were not stainless as I have one here which was rusty and needed rechroming and have hard of others as well.

Simon

Robert Watson

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Checking out the usual sources of truth (Internet!!!!!!)

Some grades of stainless steel will form light rust when exposed to mild atmospheric conditions. Most 400 series stainless steels fall into this category and it is particularly true of type 410 which only contains about 11% chromium. The martensitic PH stainless grades like 17-4 and 15-5 will also rust.

Among the most widely used grades of martensitic is 410. This heat-treatable product is ideally suited for applications used in air, fresh water or with limited amount of chemicals and acids; environments where corrosive elements aren’t severe.

So I imagine a non chrome plated k/s left out in the right place could/would show some rusting?????

Michael Vane-Hunt

VOC Member
Well everything else on my bike is rusty except the kickstart. When this BUG retreats, to regroup, we can take the kick start to Dan and ask him to give a verdict on it's composition. Maybe my kickstart is pot metal for all I know.

oexing

VOC Member
Here is a test for stainless from last night, had two kick levers with unknown steel. First test showed rust stains on one some time ago but the actual duscussion made me to repeat this on both types - and to my great pleasure one of them is stainless !! Both are magnetic, both were degreased and demineralised water droplets at same places applied. In photos you can see effects , on the rusting type half an hour shows brown colour in the droplets, the stainless is totally unaffected. So great, only need to have one chrome plating to pay.
When plain water leads to rust I would not classify this steel as stainless , so a test like above will do.

Vic
P1080123.JPG

P1080126.JPG

P1080129.JPG

Attachments

• P1080132.JPG
    P1080132.JPG
    949 KB · Views: 5