Early B series wiring harness

craig

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Did early B series use cloth covered wiring? fabric wire loom?
I have seen remnants of cloth wiring in B series rear lifting handle
with bullet connectors near seat hinge.
I dont find info on this possible early cloth covering. i understand the
advantage of later wiring materials.
need help
Thank you
Craig

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
The complete head light came from Miller as one unit it was a rubber covered loom, looked like to days plastic

davidd

VOC Member
Craig,

I am sure that someone will give you a definitive answer on the Series B harness, I do not know. Just for your information, the Series C Miller harness used a rubberized or plasticized tube, but the Series D used a Lucas Woven loom. So, the latest material was a cloth woven loom.

I would be surprised if there is evidence of a looming on the lifting handle as the holes in the handle are barely big enough to pass the wire. It may be the covering on an original wire. Typically, the woven loom would end at the battery.

By the way, I had Rhode Island Wiring copy the original Open Series D twin loom many years ago and it is still in their catalog. It is not identical to the enclosed loom, but close enough so that Sam Manganaro used it on the Knight that I sold to him, so I know it fits. It is listed on their site under "Foriegn Vehicles." It is very high quality.

http://www.riwire.com/

David

craig

VOC Member
The complete head light came from Miller as one unit it was a rubber covered loom, looked like to days plastic
So the post war 1946-47 B series Miller 8" headlights were supplied from Miller with the wire harness supplied and installed from Miller. The outer sheathing (loom) was rubber plastic as we have seen on all Vincent C series 7" Miller installations.
My question is actually about the individual wires, horn, tailight, brake light, etc. The example i see from 1947 has fabric covered wires installed in the lifting handle. Any documented photos of these areas of a 47 Rapide?

craig

VOC Member
Craig,I am sure that someone will give you a definitive answer on the Series B harness, I do not know. Just for your information, the Series C Miller harness used a rubberized or plasticized tube, but the Series D used a Lucas Woven loom. So, the latest material was a cloth woven loom.
I would be surprised if there is evidence of a looming on the lifting handle as the holes in the handle are barely big enough to pass the wire. It may be the covering on an original wire. Typically, the woven loom would end at the battery.
By the way, I had Rhode Island Wiring copy the original Open Series D twin loom many years ago and it is still in their catalog. It is not identical to the enclosed loom, but close enough so that Sam Manganaro used it on the Knight that I sold to him, so I know it fits. It is listed on their site under "Foriegn Vehicles." It is very high quality.
http://www.riwire.com/
David
Thanks David, I have not seen a series D wire harness, so good to know.... the individual wires is what i am after, sorry i brought up the loom. Also the spark wires for 1946-47? fabric covered? Any period photos of this?

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
The wires that were used in the rear frame and horn area came on a large drum maked MOS I would say ex RAF so somebody that was in the aircraft rebuild area would know?

craig

VOC Member
The wires that were used in the rear frame and horn area came on a large drum maked MOS I would say ex RAF so somebody that was in the aircraft rebuild area would know?

Wow, Thanks David, so you were there? Any recollection of this wire type detail? Thank you Craig