ET: Engine (Twin) Early B Rapide Dog Leg Kick Start?

Albervin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Yes from trying to research i was surprised at the water excluders. No sure when the photo was taken but the build date of the bike was late August 47 so not that late a model
Water excluders came in fairly early as far as I can determine. I thought it was later than Aug. 1947 but not by much. The first Black Shadow to arrive in Australia had water excluders and rear mudguard stay. Same goes for the steel brake drums, probably only until early 1947. These would have been reported back to Vincent by the Argentinians and colonials in Australia and Canada. Similarly the bronze idler and the lack of rear mudguard stays. The long right hand front brake cable was very short lived. All were carry-overs from the Series A.

Rob H

VOC Member
Water excluders came in fairly early as far as I can determine. I thought it was later than Aug. 1947 but not by much. The first Black Shadow to arrive in Australia had water excluders and rear mudguard stay. Same goes for the steel brake drums, probably only until early 1947. These would have been reported back to Vincent by the Argentinians and colonials in Australia and Canada. Similarly the bronze idler and the lack of rear mudguard stays. The long right hand front brake cable was very short lived. All were carry-overs from the Series A.

Yes bike has the steel brake drums also

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Water excluders first appeared on the front brakes sometime around early to mid 1948, but the exact date / machine is not known. Note this is for the front. A lot of owners fitted them though to earlier machines as the machines were generally used in all weather in the 1950's & 60's.

It was not until 1951 that a water excluder was fitted as standard to the rear brake that didn't have a sprocket attached.

Cast iron brake drums were introduced from frame 3050 onwards.

Texas John

Non-VOC Member
Vibrac & Albervin - I am confused about the which side should have the Long Brake Cable. My 48 Rapide has long cable on left. Picture above (and MO25) show long cable on right. Vibrac implies it is preferable to be on Right, but Albervin states long to right was short lived, implying it was moved to left (unwisely?). Please clarify. Thank you.

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
With touring bars folk fitted to the right side as too tight going round headlight, I make my cables to the right to lessen the sponginess and I have a firm brake without an outrigger plate.