ET: Engine (Twin) Early B Rapide Dog Leg Kick Start?

Texas John

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Then I must hope that Vibrac will elaborate on his comment
"Any one who saw the result of a Brampton with a LH cable a pot hole and some vigerous forward motion that occured to a good friend of mine this summer will soon sort their cable run. The violent upward rise of the forks jammed the brakes on, tore the brake stop pin from the plate and sent the rider to hospital. Sometimes following the original design is not just an arm chair riders sport. "
Because I did not see the event...
Is the problem in the geometry of having the long cable go to the left side for some reason (although it seems to me it would work the same on either side)?
Or was it routed in some way that was otherwise detrimental to braking when hitting a pothole?
E.g. caught on the headlamp when hitting a pothole (the implication of Albervin's most recent comment) - I think. I would like to understand what the issue was. Thank you.

vibrac

VOC Member
Then I must hope that Vibrac will elaborate on his comment
"Any one who saw the result of a Brampton with a LH cable a pot hole and some vigerous forward motion that occured to a good friend of mine this summer will soon sort their cable run. The violent upward rise of the forks jammed the brakes on, tore the brake stop pin from the plate and sent the rider to hospital. Sometimes following the original design is not just an arm chair riders sport. "
Because I did not see the event...
Is the problem in the geometry of having the long cable go to the left side for some reason (although it seems to me it would work the same on either side)?
Or was it routed in some way that was otherwise detrimental to braking when hitting a pothole?
E.g. caught on the headlamp when hitting a pothole (the implication of Albervin's most recent comment) - I think. I would like to understand what the issue was. Thank you.
I don't know what else I can say? On hitting the pothole the fork came up high and violently and because the cable was across the top of the Brampton fork it pulled the brakes on so hard and fast they locked and went into self destruct sending the rider flying. The cable went to the LH side I certainly had never considered this as a problem before this occured and I consider the victim one of the most outstanding and knowledgeable motorcyclists I know. Thankfully he has fully recovered.
The accident was well reported in other UK club journals I may have a frightning photo somwhere

Albervin

VOC Member
I think the way some people route their cables is a big issue, not always a problem but often. I have seen Vincents on full left lock revving hard because the throttle cables are routed incorrectly. The issue with the brake cable is the amount of free play, routing behind grease nipples and the headlight stays. I have hit massive bumps and holes here in Oz and all that has happened is I have been launched off the seat or put a flat on the rim. I suspect the rider in question had his fingers on the brake lever.